• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Captive Goblet
A twist on classic turning and carving forms. Cherry, 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 9 1/2".
O.K...this caused a brain cramp....any chance you can refer me to an article or better - a video of HOW you did this? Fascinating!
Thanks
T
Haha, sorry for the brain cramp! Yes, this is all from a single piece, and no, there’s no trickery with glue. The secret is that I turned the goblet and left a little meat to carve on the stem, so to speak. To start the chain, I carved four channels into the stem so that the cross-section would look like an “X”. From there, I removed more material to define the three links, the central link rotated 90 degrees from the top and bottom links. Once the outside chain contour was defined, it was just a matter of carefully removing the interior of the links and setting them loose, then sanding. Carving a chain is sort of a feather in the cap for a whittler in the same way turning a captive ring is for a woodturner. When I dreamed this up, I was thinking about how (sometimes) there is tension between art and craft, especially in an activity like woodturning, and so sometimes form ends up subverting function.

If I can get my phone to cooperate (I’m new to forum, just figuring things out), I’ll post some of my process pics for you.

That would be wonderful so see progress pics.
Thanks!
T
Unless I'm seeing things incorrectly, I can only embed hyperlinks to photos, not upload files directly from my device, so I'll have to find a work-around before I can post my own process pics. :(

So instead I have found a helpful YouTube video. The gentleman starts with square stock but I started with round (because... lathe...), but the principle is the same. He uses a knife, but I used a micro carver... but again the principles are the same. Hope this helps!
View: https://youtu.be/AyGr6wrhDvw

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Heather Marusiak
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata