• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Cedar Bread Bowl
Don Leydens

Cedar Bread Bowl

I get a lot of requests for these here in NC (they love their biscuits). It's 13" dia. X 5' tall. Finished with Tung oil and Renaissance wax. Many subtle user friendly details go into this simple bowl.
Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.
Beautiful Bowl Don! I have to ask if you get a lot of cracking with Cedar because it is something I run into a lot?

Larry

Thanks so much for the comments guys! It really means a lot to me.

Larry: I'm no expert, but I get asked this a lot so I'll just tell you how it works for me (the non-cracking thing). All the cedar pieces I've turned lately were from two trees that someone recently cut down in my town. They were rough turned (wet) first to about 3/4" to 1" thick, depending on the size bowl.
After the bottom was shaped, I immediately slather (technical term) on a coat of "Turners Choice" (made by Cedarcide). http://www.cedarcidestore.com/catalog/item/3343694/2900278.htm
It's a wood stabilizer. I then reverse the bowl, hollow it out and do the same on the inside as fast as I can (it's off the lathe now). Any areas that look like they could be trouble (like knots) get some thin CA glue. I leave them to dry out in the open for a week or two and then final turn them and sand down to 600 grit, then Scotch brite pads as well. They then immediately get their first coat of tung oil. Each day they get another coat (I steel wool before each coat with 0000). After the last coat I wait a few days and then Beall buff if the shape allows. If not, Renaissance wax is used.
That's about it. I don't say that it will work for every one, but I've had very few cracking or warping issues going this route.
Hope this helps you or someone else, it'll make all this typing worth while! :]
Don L.

Don,
Thanks for all the typing. It is worthwhile to me. I too live in the "Cedar Belt" and have tons of it on my property. But I've always had considerable problem with the cracking issue. I'm going to try your approach. Seems like it might also help prevent the cedar aroma from affecting the contents of the bowl... not that it would likely hurt a bowl of nice hot rolls wrapped in a cloth anyway. BTW... nice piece. I agree with Atle's comment.

Don Thanks for the reply! I have only used Anchor Seal and it sure didn't work well with my Cedar. I think you might have just sold some "Turners Choice".

Larry

I sure hope it works for ya. The stuff (no affiliation) isn't cheap, but a gallon will last a long, long time. Best of luck and please let me know how it works for you.
Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata