• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Chess set in 19th-century Persian style
John Lawson

Chess set in 19th-century Persian style

This is inspired by a photograph of a 19th century Persian chess set in the Maryhill Museum of Art.
I worked from a photograph so I had to estimate the proportions and had no idea of the dimensions of the original
I used craft dowels from Hobby Lobby. They were mystery wood from China.
Colored with Prismacolor Premier markers.
The whole project took me about four-five weekends of my limited turning time, or about 20 hours.
The pawns are about 1" tall, the kings about 2". They are displayed on a commercial board with 2" squares. The entire set weighs about four ounces, the pawns being only 2-3 grams each.
I have applied no finish at this time.
your bishops seem to be undersized and your pawns too large, i like it, most sets seem to have some carving in them, yours totally turned

very nice and something of a keepsake

That is the nature of that design. The elegant "arch" that Staunton pieces make is not particularly common in other traditional designs around the world. If you were to play with this set, it would take some getting used to.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
John Lawson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename