• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Corian Vase with Inlay
Andy Chen

Corian Vase with Inlay

Two views of a Chinese style vase made of Corian with (crushed) stone inlays. The blue squares in the neck are lapis lazuli and go all the way through the wall. The bamboo stems are inlaid with malachite and the leaves fuchsite. Bamboo is a symbol of integrity in China, which is what the inscription means but it is not a direct translation. (The meaning would have been lost in the translation, like they say.) The red symbol is my seal. 8" h x 4" d
Andy-

Outstanding craftsmanship on your pieces. Can't wait to see them in person at the upcoming meeting this month.

Gary

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Al, the piece is 8" high ~4" diameter.

Gary, I wasn't planning on bringing it to the September meeting because there will not be a show-and-tell. Jimmy Clewes will be demonstrating all day.

Andy-

I plum forgot about Jimmy demoing all day at the meeting. Maybe, might get to see them at the Oct. meeting.

Gary

Can't even imagine how you got those inlays, fabulous work Andy, quite elegant & restful on the eye :)
Pete

These are gorgeous, Andy. A couple of questions - how did you "draw" on the corian to do the inlay, and where did you find corian that large?

Hal, I (as most people) can only get Corian in 12 mm thickness. For anything thicker one would have to stack them. I glue layers together with medium viscosity CA glue. This vase was from 2 12" x 16" oval sink cutouts that I got from a countertop installer. For the inlay, I engrave the pattern with a pneumatic high-speed carver (NSK Presto Carver) before I fill it with crushed minerals using essentially Stephen Hatcher's technique.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Andy Chen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename