• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Desert Ironwood
mfoster

Desert Ironwood

Inspired by William Hunter's work. Desert Ironwood and colored epoxy.

8"d x 4.5"h
Nice to see some exciting grain in a beautiful piece such as this. I hate to think of the sanding hours involved. An absolute beauty!
Don L.

Mike,
Bloody beaut mate!, You know I am not aussie, but that is what came out.
How many hours you have in that piece?
Thanks
Jorge

This is a 10, but it is made even more impressive by the fact that you carved that out of the densest North American hardwood. That must have been a chore and a half!

Beautiful, Mike. I particularly like how the curves end at the center - very nice effect. You must tell us more about the colored epoxy.

Thanks all. Charles, the hardness wasn't such an issue as I use power carving of various ilks to sculpt the wood. Dust from this wood,however, is really nasty. Very fine dust that clogs pores and turns anything black it lands on, including skin and clothes, not to mention the shop.
Hal I used System 3 epoxy and used tempera paint as it is powder form. I have several colors and mix it to get the color I want. Dry pigments are better to color epoxy with, however I have also used acrylic and oil artists colors and sawdust of colorful woods to color epoxy as well.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
mfoster
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename