• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Fuego
A

Fuego

This was a recent demo piece that I did. It is a fairly small piece at a hair under 4 3/4" buy about 4" and a 1/8" thick. The finish is CA.

Being productive in my turning has been very tough lately as my business has been very good. While that is nice this is generally my most productive time of year for my turning. This year it has not been.

The wood is a piece of mistletoe burled Osage Orange. I had never seen this happen with Osage before but was in North Texas last year and saw some in a tree. The owner of the tree trimmed them out of the tree for me. What is interesting about the piece of wood is that it did not oxidize like oasage usually does. It is just as yellow as it was when it was cut/turned a month ago. Maybe the way the mistletoe reacted with the wood may have something to do with it. But I am not sure.

The resin is a blend of red and gold pigments.

This is kind of a dumpy little form but I like it. It is very thin and translucent so I left the opening a bit larger than I normally do. It really does attract people to look inside which was the point.

The photos does not do it justice. When you see it the piece almost looks like it is on fire. So I decided I would name it "Fuego"

Thanks for looking, Cheers and jeers are always welcome.

Alan
Spectacular!

Turning of the Week, 02/27/12
AAW Home Page Photo

absolutely gorgeous, perfectly stunning, I love the woods that come out of Texas

Alan, I enjoyed watching you cast this in your demo at the Kerrville chapter meeting. Seeing the finished item in person was awsome. Thanks for posting on the AAW Home page for everyone to enjoy.
gordon

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alan Trout
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata