• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ginkgo Nocturne
billclark

Ginkgo Nocturne

Ive been playing with several new forms lately that stay within the oriental theme I like to work with. One of my favorite ceramic oriental vessels is the classic ginger jar. Ive turned several small prototypes but found I was still searching for the most eye appealing form. I tried yet another variation which resulted in this piece. As soon as I rough turned it, I knew I was on to what I was looking for. I completed the outside adding a groove close to the base to separate the textured field that was to be added above the base. The vessel was then hollowed to walls. The lid was a bit complicated because it was small. It had to be sturdy around the rim yet 1/16 thick for the pierced center.

Following the turning I branded the two different sized ginkgo leaves in a random pattern on the outside. The leaf veins were burned individually. The entire field was then textured, except for the leaves and area below the groove at the base.

The entire vessel and lid were then airbrushed with a light TransTint dye to add the warm golden brown color to the base, leaves, lid and oriental themed handle. I then painted the field around the leaves with black gesso. The black ring around the lid and handle mount was also painted black. The entire piece was then sprayed with a matte finish to ensure a uniform low gloss reflectivity. This also seals and protects the dye and gesso finish.

The piece is 6 tall including the lid and 5 in diameter. It, along with 2 others, are currently on display in del Mano Galleries online Turned Wood Small Treasures Exhibit.

All comments and critiques are welcome.
Gary, sorry I forgot to mention the wood I used. This piece as are most of my others are Canadian Big Leaf Maple.

Bill your work is of the best I have ever seen and that is really saying something considering the work I have seen here. I have a question do you use a graham priddle burning system to be able to burn the ginko leaves with one tip? I can't imagine a regular burning system being able to handle this large of a burning design unless you do each leaf individually.

Breck, Thanks for the nice comments. I use 18 gauge nichrome wire. I carefully bend it into the shape I want. This takes a lot of practice. I usually loose 1 or 2 before I get the shape I want. These larger brands require a high output controller. I used to use a "Burnmaster" but found for my larger brands I still needed more wattage. I'm now using a self built "Graeme Priddle Wood Vaporizer". You can do a web search and find the directions to build one from a NAPA manual battery charger. I've started making oriental maple leave brands that require even more power than the ginkgo leave brand. The "Wood Vaporizer" works well with these also. All of these brands require a careful burn procedure because the turned surface is not flat and the brand is so it has to be "wrapped" around the round surface and end up with the stem of the leaf in the same place I began the burn. Due to the heat I'm now making my own pens to hold the nichrome tips.

I have the burnmaster eagle unit myself, I was wondering do you use 18 gauge wire for the larger branding tips you were talking about? Everything I have made is from 20 gauge or smaller but when I get my manual battery charger converted to a Priddle type in the future it would be nice to know if you use 18 gauge wire or what for your larger maple leaf designed tips?

Breck, Oops, I made an error. I use 18 gauge wire on everything. I just looked at my spool of wire. You will have no problem using 18 gauge with the "Wood Vaporizer". It has plenty of power. If you convert the NAPA manual charge into a controller here are a couple of tips. Leave both the 6 and 12 volts circuits working. You can use the 6 volt for regular tip pins. The most important change to the controller is to NOT use a regular household rotating dimmer switch. Use a Leviton 6613-PLW Single Pole or 3-Way SureSlide 450W Preset Magnetic Low-Voltage Dimmer. These are available from Amazon. They work much better fine tuning the wattage you want. They also are easier on the electronics of the charger/controller. It will last much longer. Hope this helps.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
billclark
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename