• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Island on the Sea - Front View
C

Island on the Sea - Front View

Quilted Maple with rounded bottom so it will rock a bit. Island is Alder end grain as the growth rings inspired the shell carving idea. Tree trunk is Curly Maple, painted with black tea (high tannin), allowed to dry and fumed with HOUSEHOLD ammonia in a Tupperware container, left to air out for a day before applying finish. Leaves are Holly. Coconuts are Bocote, about 3/8"x3/8" with 0.032" wire tenons and epoxy to hold in place. Tree trunk is half of a small scale multi-axis turning, the method described by Neil Scobie in the journal.
TransTint blue dye in denatured alcohol, the liquid form. (Think there is a dry one available as well. Homestead Finishing Products, and available at Woodcraft and other stores.) Quilted Maple is an excellent wood for dye. As I suspect you have already seen, the side views show just how good the blue dyed Quilted Maple works to resemble water.

I simply applied the dye by putting on some Nitrile gloves, dipping a folded paper towel in the dye/alcohol mix and wiping it on. After it dried, which does not take very long using alcohol, I lightly sanded it with 2000 to remove any nubs that might have raised up.

I will say that I should have attached the tree trunk before carving the shell. That would have made the transition much better from island to trunk.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Craig Daymon
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back