• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
It Satisfied My Soul No. 32 Exterior View
Donna Banfield

It Satisfied My Soul No. 32 Exterior View

Soul Series #32. 14" diameter shallow maple bowl with carved rim and signature leaf pattern, interior and exterior. Bold and bright colors of the coming spring applied with an airbrush.
Beautiful piece Donna. Would be even better in person, I’m sure! I have a question about your process with these, if you don’t mind answering. When you apply your masking (Parfix I think?), do you do it before or after carving/pyroing your leaves? I am assuming after, but just a guess.

Beautiful piece Donna. Would be even better in person, I’m sure! I have a question about your process with these, if you don’t mind answering. When you apply your masking (Parfix I think?), do you do it before or after carving/pyroing your leaves? I am assuming after, but just a guess.
Thanks, Michael. The masking is done with frisket, a low tack adhesive sheet tape that airbrush artists use to keep paint from areas they don’t want it. The steps are finish turn a bowl, draw the leaves interior and exterior, make the outlined leaves permanent with a woodburning tip, carve away the rim in the shape of the leaves (and the challenge here was only having a line of sight for one side), texturing the leaf interiors, re-burn the outline, lay down frisket, cut away frisket where the leaves are, lay down color with the airbrush, remove frisket mask, sign the bottom apply satin lacquer finish.

Frisket! That's the word I was looking for. Not Parfix o_O

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, it makes perfect sense. It's so much fun trying to figure out the process of making something like this. Like Tom said above, the whole series is fantastic, as is the name for of the series. Looking forward to the next one.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Donna Banfield
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device