• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Leaves on vase
A

Leaves on vase

This is a maple vase with pyrography, texturing and coloring. Critiques are welcome as I am learning and want to improve!
You could go one of two ways with the leaves: 1) make them more stylistic or 2) more realistic. They seem not to be either.

Study leaves. Draw leaves. Look at other artists' work who incorporate leaves in their work. And, then practice, trying something a bit different each time. Practice can be on scrap wood. Then practice some more.

I like the form and the placement of the leaves.

Thank you, Betty. I appreciate your advice. You are right about the leaves, now to go to the local arboretum and get some real leaves to study!

I actually like the leaves and the vase. They are simple with a naif touch. They do not have to be picture perfect. I just would have avoided the dots between the leaves. They confuse the simplicity of the design and of the colour.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alice Heckman
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename