• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Lorraine's Bowl
Don Leydens

Lorraine's Bowl

To make a long story as short as I can, a long lost good friend of mine's Mother had recently past away and his sister said she saw a bowl I made with a dragonfly shape in the wood. Both her and her Mom enjoyed looking at dragonflies darting around and she thought it would be a great way of remembering her Mother.

That particular bowl was long gone, but I made her this one. I liked her Mother also. Very nice person. The dragon fly represents her Mother watching over and nurturing the flower which is Lorraine, the daughter. The Mom might be in silhouette, but the colorful wings show her memory is still very much alive. I shipped this to Lorraine yesterday and I sure hope she likes it.

The wood is maple, about 11" diam. and finished with Tung Oil and Beall buffed. The inside is pyrograghy, markers and acrylic paint. All comments welcome, Don L.
Don that is fantastic. I like edge treatment too. Great tribute & explanation about the dragonfly.

Thank you Ray, Lou and Jim! The texturing around the rim was supposed to give the little dragonflies some fluttering movement. Not sure if I pulled it off but....

Thanks again,
Don L.

'nuther home run Don!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating