• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Landers for "Simple Goblet" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 17, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Maple Burl Tall HF
S

Maple Burl Tall HF

Maple burl; 13 high x 8 diameter x 3/16 thick, except at the very bottom which is somewhat thicker to provide ballast. The form was given multiple coats of wipe-on poly and then rubbed back to a matte finish using 0000 steel wool. It was then given a few coats of Renaissance wax to give it a slight sheen and softer feel.

As always, your opinions, comments and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
Steve-

Great form. Have you thought about when using the High gloss wipe-on-poly to get the depth and for the final coat to cut the luster put on a coat of satin.

Gary

Gary - thanks for the suggestion but I have to admit that I like the matte look and also like how the steel wool levels the finish. Kind of the lazy way to do things on my part - but I like the result.

Francesco & Odie, I want to thank you both for taking the time to comment! It is much appreciated! The very Best of New Years to you!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Steve Schlumpf
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename