• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Masur Birch Round Bottom Box
Gabriel Hoff

Masur Birch Round Bottom Box

This box, similar to the bell box, but slightly different, has a very small reverse curve on the top, rounded bottom, and an undercut domed lid design. Wood is Masur Birch, in which I just received a new stock of five 2.25"x 2.25"x 12" squares! Hollowed to a thin wall and finished with wax and gloss lacquer. Size is approx. 2.25" in diameter and 2" tall. Masur Birch is my favorite wood to turn, so this stock up will definitely be fun!!
Thank you Paul! Yes, my primary wood supplier custom cut the pieces for me at a very reasonable cost which was great! This wood is really hard to find though...

The way you've done the top is a nice way to "frame" the gently domed center section. I think "framed" features a usually more successful than unframed ones.

Another nice one, Gabriel. I like that subtle recurve on the side of the lid ... even a little more curve would look good - as well as making it a little more ergonomic when removing the lid. Glad you got a new supply of MB ... love that stuff! Those squares are also the perfect size for ornament globes - hint, hint. ;)

Another nice one, Gabriel. I like that subtle recurve on the side of the lid ... even a little more curve would look good - as well as making it a little more ergonomic when removing the lid. Glad you got a new supply of MB ... love that stuff! Those squares are also the perfect size for ornament globes - hint, hint. ;)
Yes I agree. A little more curve would look fantastic! Those globes will are coming soon, I always try to do a few every year.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Gabriel Hoff
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename