• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Milo Vase
George Guadiane

Milo Vase

Milo is a stunning wood to work with. The colors can range from a soft pink, through purple with MANY shades of rich browns to almost black. It is harder than my head and turning it end grain can be a challenge. It turns a little like cocobolo, but Milo makes my eyes burn and nose run, even with air filtration.
There was a significant damage to the blank so this was the best form I could get from it (in this height). I would have liked to make a calabash, but the blank wouldn't cooperate.
The vase is 8 3/4 inches high by 7 1/2 inches in diameter.
I oil sanded it to 2000 and buffed. It is finished with Tre-Wax, a tropical version of Bre-Wax I think.
As Always, Questions, Comments and Critiques Welcome.
George,
A very pretty piece, and it looks like you seriously nailed the form!
Well done!
KurtB:D

Thanks Kurt, Scott!
Scott, you got me interested myself, so I did a Google search. It is called Milo in Hawaii. The species is Thespeia populinea.
Other common names vary according to the country and include 'Portia Tree', 'Indian Tulip Tree', 'Pacific Rosewood', 'Bebaru'/'Baru Baru' (Malay), 'Milo' (Hawaii), 'Miro' (Pitcairn Island), 'Seaside Mahoe' (Florida).

POD 01-06-08
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day

---

KurtB
AAW Forums Co-Moderator

--------------------------

Kurt Bird
President
Stateline Woodturners
NW Arkansas

Thanks Kurt!
Melissa,
You know that feeling as you slide your fingers across a smooth surface of light static electricity?
It's like that, almost makes my fingers "buzz."

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata