• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Odysseus's Thermos
Greg Thomas

Odysseus's Thermos

Odysseuss Thermos

Odysseus had a long hard trip back from Troy much of it on the water. When he felt the need for a cold beverage, this jug is just what he needed. Wet down the wrapping and evaporation will cool the contents. Dont try this at home since this isnt a pottery jug. I suggest tying a string around the stems of your favorite herb, llike thyme, and putting them inside. Need a little stimulation, sniff the spout. When youve run out of aroma, pull out the old and put something new in.
To be completely honest, this piece started out to be a cookie jar and by a chain of circumstances whimsy took over. I used my rope skills gained while I was bosun on a forty foot sloop crossing the Atlantic in 1974. Its a simple whipping technique used to keep the ends of lines and ropes from fraying. It did a good job of disguising that this piece is made of three pieces glued together.
Sugar Maple and cotton twine. Nine inches high by six inches around, finished with a mixture of polyurethane, tung oil and turpentine.
Greg

Very nice. Makes me want to turn one and put string or leather string around it and put a drop of vanilla in it.

GAry

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Greg Thomas
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata