• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Offset Orange Bowl
Don Leydens

Offset Orange Bowl

I decided to try a 4 point axis (plus the center one) on this piece of figured maple. Kind of looks sun-like. The question is, do you folks think it looks too busy, or is it OK. Your thoughts are appreciated and thanks for looking, Don L.
To begin with - I love the choice of color and finish. I suppose since you mention, it is a bit busy for me. But the multi axis idea opens up a lot of options, right? How about just varying the heights of the slivers in between each outer circles, rounding the edges of the grooves too?
It might look like a contour map!
Was this done on a glueblock or a fancy offset chuck?

Thanks Jeff. I forgot to mention the finish is Tung Oil and Beall buffed. The diameter is 9".
Yea, on this one I used two different sized widths for the circles (two each). Should have left them all the same. The bottoms of the circles are round although I suppose they don't look it. This was done with straight screw chucking (5 holes). No fancy chuck.
Thanks for the comments,
Don L.

Don, I like this a lot but it is busy as stands. I can see just 2 things that might improve it. First, the offset grooves are too deep in my mind. Second, they need to be a contrasting color or an inlay of another wood? Either of these corrections would remove the busy look. I think black on the rim prior to cutting the offset grooves and then come back with this red or a blue over the black too. Black will remain black when you do that. Can you fill in the depths of the grooves? I am otherwise with you on the 4 point circular interlocking grooves. This represents a lot of and clean work too.
Bill

I agree the grooves seem too deep. And also a little too busy.

Four plus one has limited symbolism. North, South, East, West, are the only ones that come to mind.

Three plus one would have broader symbolism, and be less busy. Lots of things are triples:
Faith, Hope, and Charity.
Legislative, Executive, and Judicial.
Red, Green, and Blue.
Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.
The Three Musketeers.
Larry, Moe, and Curly?
and so it goes.

Thanks Bill and Joe! Some interesting thoughts. I've done a variety of these with different grooves, colors and number of rings. More combinations are to come and I will certainly keep your comments in mind. Thanks very much, Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename