• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Prayer wheel - in display stand
C

Prayer wheel - in display stand

This is a prayer wheel, as I understand it to be. Think of it as a box on a stick (with more function than toast on a stick - David Letterman reference). The outside is laser engraved with a segment from the song John wrote for his wedding with Julie. My understanding is that traditionally a written prayer is placed within the box and every rotation represents one recitation of the prayer. In this case, one playing of the song. Base is Curly Maple, dyed, and Kingwood containers. Wheel is Curly Maple cylinder and Brazilian Cherry lid, bottom and handle. Bronze bearings in bottom and handle.
I can think of several alternate ways to use this form. For example, if the box cylinder is 2 separate pieces, turned thin, with a thicker band between them, the weight cord can be attached to the central band and the upper and lower halves can be pierced. If piercing, one might want to create a drilled column to cover the rod inside the cylinder.

Or maybe just lots of carving on the cylinder, for those that have those Vessery skills that are NOT part of my set. Probably ideally for those good at relief carving as anything too dramatic might make the turning aspect problematic due to imbalance. (Just a guess. Probably not an issue based on the way the rod sits within the handle.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Craig Daymon
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back