• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Spalted HF with Stem
M

Spalted HF with Stem

This is a small piece of birdseye maple on a dyed stem and birdseye base. I think the base is a bit small, but it has not fallen over yet, so I got that going for me. Overall it's 10" tall just under 3" diam. The egg form is approx .0938, give or take. Finished with BLO and shellac. Then rubbed out with steelwool and oil. Can't decide it I want to add a finial or not.

Thanks for looking.

Mike
Nice egg form. A finial might add to it - try it. If it does not work you'll know. By adding a finial you may have to adjust the base size. Good job. Curious what the number means.

Definitely go for the finial, Mike. If you decide to do so, a side by side image would be great. Thanks for posting.

Don L.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have been convinced to add a finial. Will work on that either tonight or tomorrow night.

Hal, what number are you refering too? The .0938" thickness? Decimal equivilate of 3/32".

Mike

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Mike Thompson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata