• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Sycamore Fish Bowl
Will Armstrong

Sycamore Fish Bowl

6” x 2.5” hand carved, Polymerized Tung Oil. I find the carved shapes resemble schools of tiny fish swirling out of the depths.
Hi Will, Really nice effect with the carving! If you don't mind me asking, would you elaborate a little more on your carving process & the hand carving tools that you used? My guess would be a "V" gouge(s) ...? I admire the effort it took for you to create this piece! - Dave

Hi Will, Really nice effect with the carving! If you don't mind me asking, would you elaborate a little more on your carving process & the hand carving tools that you used? My guess would be a "V" gouge(s) ...? I admire the effort it took for you to create this piece! - Dave

Thank you Dave. Yes, I use a Flexcut 6mm 70° Palm "V-Tool". I have a Carvers vise that holds my turning while it is still on the faceplate or chuck. I can then carve the texture from a comfortable seated position. I draw some curved guidelines in pencil spaced around the perimeter using a flexible plastic template. In this case I cut each groove starting at the rim and working toward the foot. I take a somewhat freeform approach to give a bit of randomness, but keep an eye on the guidelines so I don't get too far off the path. I hope that explains it.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Will Armstrong
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename