• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Yarn Bowls & Nostepinnes
GRJensen

Yarn Bowls & Nostepinnes

Yarn Bowls #57 thru #60 with Nostepinnes. These are all made from domestic woods (cherry, maple, and walnut), about 6-1/2 inches tall and 6-1/2 inches in diameter. These all have floating base bottoms to reduce the possibility of cracking.

These are all shown with an (optional) Nostepinne, which is Scandinavian for ‘nest stick’. The Nostepinne is a tapered stick used to wind yarn into a tight ball.
@Don Wattenhofer The base is two half-rings with a groove cut on the inside diameter. A solid wood disk is inserted into the groove, then the two halves are glued together to form the base ring.

@Art Betke I use a router jig based on the once detailed by Jim Meizelis and Terry Quiram in the October 2014 edition of the American Woodturner.

@GRJensen I haven't been able to locate that article. I did find your posting in Lumberjocks from 4 years ago but I need more info than I can glean from that.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
GRJensen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device