• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

1/2 spindle detail gouge

I bought a 1/2 detail spindle gouge from turners edge. being a beginner I thought I was doing something wrong I can’t get it to cut I have to force it to make a dovetail I was at my turning group today and ask about it and 2 other people said they have set them aside and don’t use them for the same reason has anyone ran into this and found a reason or cure for this problem I have run into
And I am in no way putting down this tool or brand just looking for help to make it work as it was over $100

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I might suggest a manual dry test - it is all about how you present the tool to the piece. Chuck up a nice round spindle and then with lathe off, lay gouge so bevel is laying flat on the wood , and then roll spindle by hand while bringing your edge into the wood , soon as it starts to cut a little bit, stop there and look at how the gouge lays on tool rest and where it is cutting at - Getting them to cut a neat dovetail (I use a 3/8 detail for that) you may find your tool is being held level (as in like a scraper may be) at center line of the blank with the flute pretty much facing you (about 9:30 to 10:00 position) and the handle sticking out to what might almost feel parallel to the tailstock.. Once you can get it to cut and figure out how to hold and present the tool, you can practice a bit with rotating gouge to get a cut along a different edge.. with my relatively acute grind (35 degrees-ish and way swept back wings) I find it quite difficult to actually turn a bead & cove stick like you would with a regular spindle gouge - It is more suited to finer details (Small beads, narrow coves or grooves, dovetail tenons for bowls, etc) so it is not used all that often.. but it does need to be really sharp (like a skew)

I have a 1/2” detail gouge also. It is not that I can’t cut with it, but I almost never use it. I just don’t think it is a necessary tool. My 3/8” detail gouges seem to do everything when a detail gouge is needed. I’m going to flatten the tip out and grind it similar to my spindle gouges.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I use a 3/8 spindle gouge to turn dovetails for tenons. A detail gouge with a 30-35 degree bevel should do the job too.
I use a 1/2” detail gouge to turn beads on bowls and hollow forms.

Check sharpening need a convex edge - no dips. Concentrate on the basics!

Detail gouges work like spindle gouges.
Sharpen it with a fingernail grind

ABC- Anchor Bevel Cut
A- tool on tool rest
B- bevel on the wood not cuttingIMG_0186.jpeg

C- raise the handle and roll the tool to begin cuttingIMG_0187.jpeg

It will work like this.
trim.972D3E2B-E506-4942-B129-D6431F3F6833.gif

Last edited:
Properly sharpened and presented to the wood it will cut. As mentioned, ABC will get you there. Plenty of practice with cove and bead sticks…. I use a 1/2” spindle gouge (35 deg bevel) for tenons for cross grain work.

Is it actually a detail gouge? There is a difference between a spindle and actual detail gouge (depth of flute grind into the bar), tho it doesnt really make a difference to whether it cuts, but more in fitting it into tight areas and how much extension of the rest the tool can handle

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Personally, I find a 1/2” spindle detail gouge to be one of my favorites. Like Al said above, it’s my go to for beads and details on hollowforms, bowls, spindles, etc… Though not quite as versatile as a bow gouge, I find that it does just about everything I need it to (aside from hollowing face grain bowls). I also have a 3/8, but I find myself using the 1/2” more often, except for on smaller pieces.

There is a ton of great advice here. One thing that’s missing is that you might try adjusting your tool rest height a bit. I’m assuming you have more experience with carbide and/or bowl gouges. I find that with detail gouges I get the best performance if I raise my tool rest a bit, about the same height as if I am using a skew. Just my two cents.

If I am making the dove tail angle for my recess, if I use a spindle detail, well, any detail type of gouge, I have it rolled all the way over on the side, so flutes horizontal. I am not competent with the skew, so when I do beads and coves on a spindle, I use a detail gouge. You don't start the cut with the point. You start it with the wing and roll it on the side till it starts to cut. To get to the very bottom of a V groove, then you have to roll it all the way onto the side.

robo hippy

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Start at the beginning. Is it 1/2" diameter or 1/2" flute? This difference is the European or American methods of measurement. A 1/2" Sorby is not the same size as a 1/2" Thompson. Note either one should do what you are asking of it,

That said, when any tool doesn't cut, it is either the sharpened edge or user error (or inexperience). Your 2 club members who "put it aside" are not the ones to go to, since they don't know either. Find a club member who knows how to use it and solicit their advice.
And follow the many excellent suggestions above.

Good luck getting started. May this be the hardest question you'll have to overcome, but know there will be many more.

Back