• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A couple of questions

Can anyone tell me what this type of decoration is called? And are there any online resources for determining the diameter of cutter and number of cuts for best effect on a given diameter of workpiece such as a small box?

I can work something out as a starting point using a simple drawing program on the computer but I was wondering if there is some resource/software out there? TIA.

Screenshot from YouTube:

IMG_9550.jpeg

Website
www.turnlinks.com
The pattern is called a Basket Weave.

I don't know about any online resources but a lot will depend on the diameter of the cutter and the diameter of the box. I have used rosettes with 12,16,18 and 24 bumps depending on the box diameter.

It may be worth taking a look at the Corn Lathe software as that may have something.

Looks like maybe a 20 bump concave rosette pattern using a vertical cutter (possibly a Universal Cutting Frame set up to cut vertically). Every other row is out-of-phase by half the width of the each bump (ie "brick" pattern).

Back