• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A little "ADVICE", if you please

I'm certainly new to this world of spinning wood. What is the best tool(s) to smooth the ridges and bumps in the bottom of this straight-sided box? It is about 4 inches in diameter and 1 and 1/2 inches deep. Hopefully, there is a photo attached. Thanks much.

thumbnail

1634997264440.jpeg

Well, there is no end to the tools you can have and use. For a bottom like that, I would prefer a negative rake scraper. You can do a good job with a regular scraper as well, which may work better if you hone off the burr. I would want one that has a straight edge more than a rounded edge, more like an L but with an 80 degree angle rather than the 90 degree one as shown. This allows you to get a crisp edge in the corner/transition area.

robo hippy

Well, there is no end to the tools you can have and use. For a bottom like that, I would prefer a negative rake scraper. You can do a good job with a regular scraper as well, which may work better if you hone off the burr. I would want one that has a straight edge more than a rounded edge, more like an L but with an 80 degree angle rather than the 90 degree one as shown. This allows you to get a crisp edge in the corner/transition area.

robo hippy
Thank you for the prompt response. I have a negative rake scraper and thought I might give it a try. But was unsure how it would act or react when engaging the bottom at what seems to be a 90 degree angle.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
using a scraper on the inside do not allow bevel contact Which makes a big catch.
tool rest above center significantly reduces the chance of bevel contact.
NRS would work well To remove the bumps light touch many passes.

a gouge bevel ridding, ring tool, or hook tool cutting from center to the wall will All leave a clean flat bottom.
the Hunter tools would also leave a nice flat surface too.

using a scraper on the inside do not allow bevel contact Which makes a big catch.
tool rest above center significantly reduces the chance of bevel contact.
NRS would work well To remove the bumps light touch many passes.

a gouge bevel ridding, ring tool, or hook tool cutting from center to the wall will All leave a clean flint bottom.
the Hunter tools would also leave a nice flat surface too.
Thank you!

Back