• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A little Greek Key to get started

Here're some sample OT stuff from way back in the day. My OT lathe rotated rather than rocked. the rotation was because I had some tooling components to cobble it together that way. The rotation was on a machinist's rotary table. I've since dismantled it to reclaim the parts I used.

The wood pieces across the top and lower right were 8 lobed rosettes. I believe the two left were 4 lobed. The two black ones, I don't recall. Some of my rosettes were 3D, rotate and advance work.

ornamental samples.JPG

The process for making this and similar closed vessels is to split the workpiece in two, then rough the outside. Next the inside of the bottom and top are hollowed. The top is epoxied back onto the bottom and the pattern is cut into the faces. The pattern is filled with brass powder and epoxy and finally the outside is finished turned.

Back