• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Sad day at Church

You never know when an accident might occur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rev. Jimmy Jeanfreau Jr., a carpenter, missionary to Latin America and pastor of Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church in Marrero, was killed in a freak woodworking accident at a shop on the church campus, Jefferson Parish authorities said Tuesday.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I just heard about this accident on another forum (Reddit). Someone that apparently knew a bit about the situation commented the following (note, this is just a comment on a website, and may or may not reflect reality 100%):

I have appreciated this thread. I’m not a woodworker but was a friend of Fr. Jimmy’s, and they called me when the news came out, both to let me know and to ask if I wanted to know the details. I did not at first, but I’m glad I did learn about what happened.

He was working w/ a piece of equipment - later I learned it was a wood lathe - something lodged and the blade flew out and hit him in the skull. Death is thought to have come immediately for him. However, head wounds being what they are, the staff who found him in the morning are clearly traumatized.

Jimmy was a safety conscious individual in his shop, and had shown me around it. He often talked about the safety features, including auto-stop on various equipment. News had come out that morning about a local priest we both knew who was murdered and then his remains burned, who was together with a long time associate and caregiver at the same time who suffered the same fate. It’s likely he was thinking about that horror story.

But evidently the blade came loose and caused a traumatic head injury. I can ask for more details if it would be helpful for others in ongoing safety concerns.

I just heard about this accident on another forum (Reddit). Someone that apparently knew a bit about the situation commented the following (note, this is just a comment on a website, and may or may not reflect reality 100%):

As macabre (and posibly insensitive) as it would be to raise the subject, it would be valuable for the woodturning community to have a better understanding of what happened.

I would like to know the details as well so that we can all learn a lesson. If he was using a cheap tool that broke, it would be good to know what to avoid. If it was a pice of the wood, and not part of a tool, it would also be helpful. It could be as simple as he was not wearing a face shield/helmet.

I had a 3/“ forstner but break as I was backing it out from a hollow form and it implanted into my plywood wall covering in a split second. It happened so fast I didn’t even know where it went until a few minutes of searching for it. The neck was still in the jacobs chuck, and the cutting head flew off like a bullet. If I was in the line of fire, I could easily have ended up like this poor guy.

After this, I read about a few other accidents and decided to upgrade to the 3M M-307 helmet. It works with the versaflow and I highly recommend it. It is currently saving my lungs and the helmet protects from (hopefully never) impact. They are crazy expensive, but I found mine on eBay for only $200.

They probably will never know for sure what happened ... they don't have any idea how long it was until his body was discovered.

Back