• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW Information

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The AAW Information sub-forum up until now has only been visible to AAW Members. Following a discussion with the AAW staff, it was decided to make the AAW Information sub-forum visible to everybody including visitors who aren't logged in. The only limitation is that non AAW forum members and visitors won't be able to access the "members only" content.

If you are an AAW member and haven't been able to see the AAW Information forum in the past, it is because you didn't indicate that you were an AAW member when you joined the forum.

There are still two other forums that only AAW members are able to view.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Look at the index page www.aawforum.org. If you're an AAW member, it's third from the bottom and otherwise it's the last entry. It's mostly information posted by the AAW staff. This is information that previously was only available to AAW members and is now available to everyone. This is part of the program to attract new members. There are a few other changes coming to the forum to enhance the user experience and more closely integrate it with the main site.

No, it's not the old vBulletin forum. Everything that was on it was moved to the new forum.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Look at the index page www.aawforum.org. If you're an AAW member, it's third from the bottom and otherwise it's the last entry. It's mostly information posted by the AAW staff. This is information that previously was only available to AAW members and is now available to everyone. This is part of the program to attract new members. There are a few other changes coming to the forum to enhance the user experience and more closely integrate it with the main site.

No, it's not the old vBulletin forum. Everything that was on it was moved to the new forum.
Thanks for the clarification, I will now check on the AAW forum, I find it interesting... Aloha

Bill, following your link, I find AAW Information at the bottom, yet my profile shows my membership number. Am I doing something wrong, or am I not registered as a member?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill, following your link, I find AAW Information at the bottom, yet my profile shows my membership number. Am I doing something wrong, or am I not registered as a member?

I don't know who to blame ... :D ...but I fixed it so that you are now being recognized by the software as an AAW member. Let me know if that fixed things.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have the same issue. My AAW members number is displayed but can’t see the AAW info on the forum.

That's strange because when I checked your information in the database it shows that the forum software recognizes you as an AAW member. On the index page you should see the following forums (click on the link in this sentence to make certain that you aren't accessing cached data):
  • Introductions
  • Woodturning Discussion Forum
  • Woodturning Health & Safety
  • Tutorials and Tips
  • Forum Technical Support
  • Woodturning Marketplace
  • AAW Information
  • AAW Chapter Forum
  • Local AAW Chapter - Demonstrator Scheduling
Tell me which ones you do not see.

Bill - I wish I could tell you its fixed, but the last two categories still do not show for me. Cleared caches/cookies, but no joy - even following your link...I’m cursed...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill - I wish I could tell you its fixed, but the last two categories still do not show for me. Cleared caches/cookies, but no joy - even following your link...I’m cursed...

Bill
I can't see the last two items either, and the link above produces an error message.

Mike

Are you not allowing cookies from this site? Also, check your firewall settings. If they are set too high that could be the cause. Also, try logging out by going to the index page and hover the mouse over your name in the upper right of the page. On the drop down menu click on log out. Close and restart your browser and then log into the forum.If none of those things work, I might need to bring in a shaman.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Hi Bill, minor issue: In times gone by, my posts and comments were identified by my Signature "Dennis in Southern Oregon". Sometime since (I did not notice the change) they started appearing under my full name "Dennis J. Gooding". NABD, but inquiring engineering minds always seek a reason for things. :oops:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hi Bill, minor issue: In times gone by, my posts and comments were identified by my Signature "Dennis in Southern Oregon". Sometime since (I did not notice the change) they started appearing under my full name "Dennis J. Gooding". NABD, but inquiring engineering minds always seek a reason for things. :oops:

By any chance are you remembering back before mid June 2016? That is when we made the switchover from vBulletin to XenForo forum software. We applied a vBulletin "skin" to give a somewhat familiar look and feel.

I don't know if this is the right place to point this out but there is one person who posted 23 photos to the photo gallery on 2/18/2024

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Umm color me mystified, but, is that some sort of problem? Can't see why it would be?

It sounds like you may not have read the gallery posting rules. I deleted 19 of the 23 images because the limit is a maximum of four images in 24 hours and a maximum of two images per turning or grouping. This limitation prevents images posted by others from scrolling off the page before anybody gets a chance to see them. Also, the gallery is only for displaying finished turnings. No shop, motorcycle, people, disembodied hands, furry friends, food, etc. Once in a blue moon, somebody gets a little over-enthusiastic in posting gallery images and needs to be reminded not to hog the gallery space.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
It sounds like you may not have read the gallery posting rules. I deleted 19 of the 23 images because the limit is a maximum of four images in 24 hours and a maximum of two images per turning or grouping. This limitation prevents images posted by others from scrolling off the page before anybody gets a chance to see them. Also, the gallery is only for displaying finished turnings. No shop, motorcycle, people, disembodied hands, furry friends, food, etc. Once in a blue moon, somebody gets a little over-enthusiastic in posting gallery images and needs to be reminded not to hog the gallery space.
Ah thanks. I don't think I have ever posted anything to the gallery myself, and never really expected to (I post mine on Facebook album) so I never paid too much attention to the gallery rules.. One would tend to think on a feature-rich forum like this, "rules" like that might be able to actually have a programmable hard limit - Much like the 4-image limit when posting photos/attachments to a thread ? I am guessing not the case, so has anyone ever looked into it with the developers?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
One would tend to think on a feature-rich forum like this, "rules" like that might be able to actually have a programmable hard limit - Much like the 4-image limit when posting photos/attachments to a thread ? I am guessing not the case, so has anyone ever looked into it with the developers?

Yes, that's what one would think. The only explanation/excuse that I can think of is that XenForo is British software. :rolleyes:

Back