• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW Web Advertising Campaign

Website
www.tri-colorturners.com
Master Turner Program

I am not sure how a term like "elitist" could even be applied to such a program. As a technical/professional person in my field, I was just thinking that you generally have to have some sort of credentials associated with you to support your work. That said, I wouldn't expect the typical hobbyist to care much about credentials, but it might be of importance to someone that does technical/architectural/functional turning for a living. Kinda like being a machinist, a home improvement contractor or a Microsoft software programmer, etc. It might not be a must, but might give you a little more bargaining power. As a hobbyist, it might just be fun to tackle other projects or develop skills you wouldn't otherwise. I don't know how it would affect an artist, but suspect it wouldn't be as important given the reasons folks buy art. Anyway, I could see a set of standards from a "professional" organization working for all in woodturning from those that care about such a thing to those that don't and just want to be called Mr. How could it hurt if you didn't care? I think it could be a challenge and a lot of fun at a minimum. Thoughts?

Best regards,

Matt

Back