• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Adding a Treadle to a Jet Mini

Has any ever added a treadle to a Jet Mini so they do turn at fairs and demos where there isn't a AC power source - I thougtht perhaps a member of this august group had already done the engineering -- It seems that with the open frame and ready access to the pulleys that mounting a flywheel and treadle directly below it would be almost trivial. In a pinch I can almost see using a old sewing machine base --

Comments? Jeers?

If it is not a variable speed model you might consider removing the cooling fan and replacing it with an other pulley. This would require switching back and forth when going to electric power or foot power.

You could also replace the hand wheel with a pulley and simply remove the belt when electric was available. I can see lots of options just a matter of which one would be most practical for you.

I've often thought of using the same argument with SWMBO in favor of purchasing one. Couple of disadvantages. First, it would mean finding a belt bigger'n the one around my waist, which is saying something, and second, not all places will allow it. I've carved on my bench a number of times, and a couple of places got huffy about the mess. Seems folks come to watch, and carry curlies around. Wouldn't think it would be a problem outside in a park, and in proximity to a bark path, but the paint-splashers in charge seemed to think it was.

Then there's the liability issue. Given half a chance, some lawyer will slither in and hiss about not carrying proper insurance.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Guy I'll post a photo of my treadle lathe when I get it done. It's close, maybe another week. I'm using a spindle out of my old lathe so it will have theads and morse taper.
I also have a very small lathe that I was going to put on a singer sewing machine treadle but now that I'm building a full size lathe I may not do that.
On a jet mini you could simply buy a longer belt and use the existing pulleys. You might have to build an idler wheel into the stand or something. The spindle on the jet mini comes out very easily so changing belts would be easy enough.

MichaelMouse said:
Then there's the liability issue. Given half a chance, some lawyer will slither in and hiss about not carrying proper insurance.

MM,

Our AAW Chapter members do a lot of outside demos mostly for charities. We usually have at least two members present. As long as we have a chapter meeting record (minutes) of a chapter sanctioned event, liability ins. for observers( the public not members) is by the AAW.

You're right, of course, Jake and that's a good enough reason to belong to the AAW but it won't stop the slithering.

You'd have to do the second degree backpedal, I would think, making a commercial event into a demonstration and then into a meeting with minutes. I am bipedal, and I have trouble with that.

Take a copy to your event governing body and see how it flies.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
I am curious.......can you hold yourself steady enough to handle a gouge acurately when you have one leg pumping up and down or would you need a helper who would pump the treadle for you?

I ask because pictures I have seen of old human powered lathes usually had a second person providing the motive force (an apprentice learning the trade I assume) and the turner working the wood.

Just curious?

Dave

Guessing you don't watch Ol' Roy on PBS, Dave?

Bark your knuckles a few times and imitate him!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
David It's a different kind of body movement when using the tools but you do pump the whole time your turning. This was essential in a spring pole lathe but on a treadle lathe you might actually be able to stop for a second or so depending on the inertia the big drive wheel has.
On great wheel lathes there is usually another person driving the wheel. These have very large wheels and probably have effectively more "horsepower" than a smaller wheel. don't know that for sure because I've never built one.
I'm hoping to make my homebuilt one have a treadle that will stick out far enough that I can have kids push the pedal for me. I think they'll enjoy that. My one concern is the open wheel and belt design. I may have to mask off an area to keep small fingers away from this.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
John and MichaelMouse!

Sounds like it needs more body coordination than I have in me! I do great when I develop a smooth rythm and body swing on the lathe as I work. If I miscalculate and need to actually take a step to keep on moving I am toast. Can't imagine trying to do it with one leg thumping up and down all the time too! Stick a piece of gum in my mouth and tell me to chew it at the same time and I would probably have a nervous breakdown!

If you don't mind, post a picture when you have this rig built. I would love to see it!

Good luck!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Brodie There in lies the problem. If you suggest to your wife that she might want ride an exercise bike, you will have a brocken leg and not be able to pedal yourself.

David Somers said:
John and MichaelMouse!

Sounds like it needs more body coordination than I have in me! I do great when I develop a smooth rythm and body swing on the lathe as I work. If I miscalculate and need to actually take a step to keep on moving I am toast.

That describes Roy's technique to a "T". He uses the tool swing technique the old bodgers developed for their bidirectional pole lathes. It's swing and cut, adjust body and tool aft while bevel rides (probably where the term originated) swing and cut. The swing in and the step down are natural companions, as are the slide and ride with the step up.

Add It Edit - http://www.bodgers.org.uk/

Back