• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Adrian Wilson

Hello, all. I’ve been lurking here more and more, learning lots from the braintrust, figure it’s time to make it official. I live on the island of Cape Breton, in Nova Scotia. I have been working with wood for about 39 years, in custom furniture, cabinetry, millwork, conservation, and I taught in a two-year cabinetmaking diploma program at our provincial community college for thirteen years where I taught everything from wood tech to hand tools to CAD and CNC (still teach at the college, but adult high school now). I am a Red Seal cabinetmaker, which in our Canadian system means I am recognized as a journeyman in every province. I have been turning through most of that time, since being taught in the wood conservation lab at the Canadian Museum of Civilization, but in a hit and miss fashion, as I needed things; mostly furniture parts. In the last year I have settled in to attempting to become a decent turner, rather than a guy who can stumble through it. I’m going to use the S word…. I am mostly a spindle turner. There. I said it. I have hacked out a couple of bowls back in the day, but now I am getting drawn in to that big learning curve, and looking forward to giving it a hook. Learning a lot about tool geometry etc., a lot of it here. I turn on a General 160-2 that I bought new in ’96, but I dream of old patternmaker lathes, or some of the new beauties available.

20230718_114709.jpg

Ahhh, since you have a full shop, Segmenting is in your future Adrian!! I can help you get started!! Come into the light, haha!!

Welcome! I too am a recovering cabinetmaker, and as such I am less interested in cutting big pieces into little pieces and reassembling them into big pieces after 40 years of doing just that - but to each his own. Plenty to learn here!

Ahhh, since you have a full shop, Segmenting is in your future Adrian!! I can help you get started!! Come into the light, haha!!
images

"Dear Mr. Braun;

Thank you for your kind suggestion re: segmented turnings. Unfortunately, Adrian is fully obsessed with other topics, and unable to take on any other rabbitholes at this time. We will keep your suggestion on file in case something opens up. Cheers,
The Admin Team"

We'll see. I sure do like the one in your avatar photo.

Welcome! I too am a recovering cabinetmaker, and as such I am less interested in cutting big pieces into little pieces and reassembling them into big pieces after 40 years of doing just that - but to each his own. Plenty to learn here!

Yes indeed. This is one of the best quality wood forums I have come across.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Welcome from Ohio! This forum is the best combination of new turners looking for solid advice, and seasoned pros who have a lot of knowledge!! Have fun and post some photos!

There is nothing wrong with Spindle turning, it would be a valuable lesson for every turner, for instance rolling a bead or cove using a spindle /detail gouge will teach the importance of tool presentation for a clean tear out free cut and that can be accomplished on even the softest woods.

Back