• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

After A Stroke

Last January I had a stroke that crippled my right side. Since then my speech, balance, vision and ability to walk have returned. My right arm and hand show improvement but are still not usable as of yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to turn . Thanks

Hi Paul. All the best for your continued recovery.

Do you see an occuptional therapist at all as part of your recovery? Maybe someone like that has ideas for braces or similar for your hand and arm. Sorry that I have nothing more to offer.

Be well.

Another couple of alternatives for your consideration.

- Trent Bosch Tools Stabilizer system which is mounted entirely on the banjo.
- Mark Jundanian started a thread in the Tips and Tutorials section about a Stand Off Arm for Hollowing here is a link.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
As Alan mentions, left handed turning may need to be learned - I am able to , in many cases , being really careful on already rounded blanks, turn with just one hand controlling the tool (I challenged myself to learn it) but I wonder if it may be helpful to fashion a weighted "hanger" that clamps to the tool that provides down-force needed onto tool rest, or alternatively a holster or harness worn around the waist or on a belt to socket the tool handle into and use left hand on tool rest for finer control (though I think that would be far harder to manage, as you would need some way to control the tool handle height at the same time... unless using scraper tools almost exclusively..)

Paul, thank you for reaching out. This is something that is doable but initially not solo. Take Lyle up on his offer and talk to him. With instruction, and help you have a good chance to get back to it. A key element as you already know, working that hand and arm will eventually make those needed connections. Do not lose faith.
Lyle, thank you for your offer.
Jer

I suggest you get a Jamieson hollowing system for all your bowl work. If you have to let go of the tool, nothing happens. It will also give you better leverage.

God bless you Paul. Best of luck with your recovery.

Sorry, I don’t have any specific advice.

But please know that continued post stroke recovery happens. I had four strokes in 2016 that paralyzed my left arm and leg and the right side of my face and caused difficulty with speech and swallowing. Today most people can’t tell I had strokes except by the AFO brace I wear on my left lower leg for mild foot drop. My strength and stamina took a big hit and I have chronic post stroke fatigue.

But even now, eight years later, I continue to improve slowly day by day. I attribute some of that to lathe work. It’s mentally therapeutic and anything that forces you to use your mind and hands together helps with stroke recovery.

God bless you Paul. Best of luck with your recovery.
But even now, eight years later, I continue to improve slowly day by day. I attribute some of that to lathe work. It’s mentally therapeutic and anything that forces you to use your mind and hands together helps with stroke recovery.
Paul and Brian, I had an accident on the ski jumping hill. I had to learn to walk, talk and write all over again. They didn't come back over night. They came back in baby steps. But they did come back. I too wear a brace for drop foot too. So what. I'm up and walking. I finished graduate school and taught high school for 34 years. I agree with Brian that turning is therapeutic. Stay the course.

@Paul M. Kaplowitz , I'm sad to hear that news. This is a super big challenge, but take some heart from Brian's story and others. My bet is on you.

I can't tell you exactly how to accommodate and/or overcome this new hurdle in your life. I don't turn what you turn. I don't turn the way that you turn. And I certainly am not dealing with the same physical challenges.

I do suggest you look at using an articulated arm hollowing rig to assist in tool holding. Specifically, I suggest looking at either the Harrison Simple Hollowing System or the Elbo2. These devices when coupled with a stand off arm can give you access to both the inside and the outside of a work piece. In my opinion, a long boring bar rig won't be as useful, particularly on the outside, but I have not tried one. Several years ago I acquired the Harrison SHS unit and very quickly began to use it all the time, not just hollowing. You will not be able to use bowl gouges with an articulated arm set up as the tools will need to be held flat (zero pitch), and with fixed roll, but ordinary scrapers, NRS, carbide scrapers, and many of the Hunter type carbide cutters work well, too. These tools can probably shape any curve you imagine. Certainly enough to satisfy.

An head stock that rotates/swivels will also add a lot of maneuverability to compensate for your challenges, but a new lathe may not be realistic right now. Although I notice the lathe in your avatar appears to be a short bed, so maybe not long enough to mount a hollowing rig?

But those are the easy problems. The harder ones to do with one arm are going to be things like threading a chuck on the spindle with your left hand ( a rotating HS would help), and threading/tightening those darn Allen set screws that are everywhere in wood turning. Then there's things like mounting a blank in a chuck or even bringing up a tail stock when turning between centers.

I am guessing you will have to reconsider what you turn, at least initially, and certainly the tools you use. My suggestion is to spend a little time making a list of some of the major and minor operations that you will need to be able to do to turn--it doesn't have to be the full list, but enough to make the point. Then talk to your neurologist and see if he or she thinks a consultation with a Physical Medicine and Rehab physician or an Occupational Therapist might be helpful.

And of course people here might be able to come up with solutions to specific problems.

Last edited:
many of the Hunter type carbide cutters work well and can probably shape any curve you imagine
I’d second this. Even though I have multiple bowl gouges and know how to use them, I often use a Hunter Hercules #3 cupped carbide chisel instead. It can be used in place of a bowl gouge in many scenarios and it’s much simpler to manipulate. It could be used judiciously with one hand where such would be practically impossible with a bowl gouge. And the weight and heft of the Hercules, vs their other tools, would also help. If you buy just the tool you could turn a larger diameter longer handle, mount the tool, then drill out the other end and fill it with lead so it rests more firmly on your tool rest.

I would definitely take Lyle Jamieson up on his offer to help. His hollowing tool or an articulated arm hollowing tool might work, especially if used with a Hunter carbide cutter. Another option that comes to mind is something like a pattern-makers lathe or a metal lathe that would have a cutter mountain on a cross slide and carriage that could me moved using hand cranks. If standing for longer periods of time is a concern, then Oneway and Robust (and maybe other manufacturers) makes lathes designed to be used while sitting down. You might be able to accomplish the same thing with a new stand for your existing lathe. I hope your recovery goes well and then you find a solution that will work for you for turning.

My mother had a stroke in 2019. You should see if you can find an occupational therapist who is willing to make a house call. They will likely have many clever ideas for helping you in the shop.

Using your bad side as much as you can is the only way to make sure it continues to heal. Getting back in the shop and trying to use both sides will be great therapy.

Assistive devices are wonderful. I think both Trent and Lyle make great tools, especially after seeing them in action at the symposium this weekend. They will probably have ideas to help you with tool changes as well. You may need to get creative with tool rest movements and chucking.

On the subject of "assistive devices", I had a further thought. Some allen set screws could be replaced with screws with knurled knob or similar. This would be for stationary things like a tool holder, not the chuck.

Last January I had a stroke that crippled my right side. Since then my speech, balance, vision and ability to walk have returned. My right arm and hand show improvement but are still not usable as of yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to turn . Thanks
Christmas Eve 2020 I had a stroke. It mostly affected my right leg, but weakened my right arm, and my concentration. Fortunately, I had a quick recovery to about 95% functionality. My nephew had a stroke abut two years ago that "permanently" affected his right leg and arm, and his speech to a significant extent. He has recovered to the point that he can work again and is doing pretty well, all things considered. The key factor in our recovery has been focus on regaining function, and retraining the brain to take over lost function. My brother had a terrible accident in 1999, and one of his arm muscles had to be disconnected from finger control to the opposite finger control, exactly backwards from what God gave him. Took him a while to switch from grip to extend, but he got there and continued his machinist career.

I'm sure you will find ways to regain function, like me and my nephew, and you might have to retrain your brain, like my brother, but stick to it and you'll pretty much be guaranteed to get back in the game.

Back