• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

American Woodturner

Thank you Betty, staff, contributing editors and authors for a great magazine. This last issue of American Woodturner was the best I have ever read. Keep up the good work.
Don Peek

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
Mostly disagree

Association News and Notes as well as Woodturners Chatter I appreciate.

As for the features I wasn't terribly impressed. In particular, five articles such as Giles Gilson (fantastic turner), Lincoln Seitsman (Whom I admire and take inspiration from), Merryll Saylan (another fantastic turner), Muskego Chapel and last, Dysfunctional ALL IN ONE ISSUE. One or maybe two of these in an issue fine, but five. The photos in the Muskego article (described by the author as unknown...and didn't strike me as being of a great deal of interest to the everyday turner..read member) (plaque. exterior of building, detail of tear out and tool marks???)....interesting to woodturners? Dysfunctional......"Rhetoric"......interesting and inspriring to woodturners? Two friends from a Philadelphia area chapter told me about their viewing of this "piece" at WTC, I can't repeat here what they said but it wasn't good, the opinions of two everyday woodturners who are also AAW members, but not I suppose, artists.

Bob Rosand's article was good for beginners and a refresher for others, too bad editing didn't catch the reversed caption beneath the photo of tools, the lead photo of the article....pretty obvious error.

Alan Lacer and Keith Tompkin's articles were good and I'm pleased to see a return of "Tips" and thank John Lucas for his efforts.

One actual woodturning project article that I don't think is of interest to the bulk of members, of course I'm assuming they're not looking to disassemble and "transform" their tape measures.

And, I agree with Sean Troy the paper does have a cheap appearance and feel.

Lots of photos.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
...Muskego Chapel... The photos in the Muskego article (described by the author as unknown...and didn't strike me as being of a great deal of interest to the everyday turner..read member) (plaque. exterior of building, detail of tear out and tool marks???)....interesting to woodturners?

I am one everyday woodturner who appreciated the article. I love historical pieces and found it interesting. I would like to see other historical articles in the Journal over the coming years. Too, I appreciated the previous issue's article on tenons for furniture. I've tried my hand at turning the components for a Shaker-style stool with woven seat and the 24 tenons & mortises were the most difficult to get right.

The craft of woodturning can take one down all sorts of paths; in my view the AAW and the Journal attempt to be inclusive to all tastes. Please, Mike, don't shout so loudly for your own likes that you drown out the desires and interests of others.

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
Owen, I didn't shout loudly for my own likes and I think you need to reread my post a little more carefully, I mentioned things that I did like as well. Regarding those 5 articles, I didn't think they should have all appeared in the same issue. That threw off the balance that I would hope to see, it certainly didn't add to it. By the same token I wouldn't want to see 5 turning project articles in one issue. I'd also like to see a better editing job such as with the photo in the Rosand article where I mentioned the text is reversed as to the tools

I haven't been thrilled with journal in some time and it only seems to have gone further down that path.

Now, we're told the editor is considering eliminating the contributing editors, that somehow that will encourage others to write. How eliminating the likes of Lacer, Cook, Rosand, Vesery, etc. will encourage others to write for the journal is beyond me. You have a bullpen of seven talented woodturner/writers but will do better if you dump them............though still hoping that they contribute.

The journal has been slipping, now it's headed off in an entirely different direction as evidenced by the two most recent issues, part of which is the removal of our logo from the cover so that "someone else's stamp can be placed on it". Of course if that's what the leadership and more importantly the membership want then so be it. I'll have to point that out to all that I hear complaining at the several chapters I attend every month. I'm finished with this.........

Last edited:

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Current Issue

I rec'd my copy last Friday and spent most of the weekend going thru the issue.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. It is one of the best, if not the best, issue of American Woodturner that I have seen since 1991.

From across the room (say 15' away) I could still tell that it was the AAW Journal (mainly because of the gigantic text). Similarly, with an older Jouirnal I could not discern the logo. I could see the text.

If there is one improvement I would like to see made, that is to send it in plastic wrap or paper, like fine woodturning. I really did not appreciate the scuffing of the photo and the mailing label ruining an otherwise beautifil cover.

As far as the content, I don't think it could get any better, or in the words of a famous Virginia turner, "Betty, can you do it again?"

A

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
I rec'd my copy last Friday and spent most of the weekend going thru the issue.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. It is one of the best, if not the best, issue of American Woodturner that I have seen since 1991.

From across the room (say 15' away) I could still tell that it was the AAW Journal (mainly because of the gigantic text). Similarly, with an older Jouirnal I could not discern the logo. I could see the text.

If there is one improvement I would like to see made, that is to send it in plastic wrap or paper, like fine woodturning. I really did not appreciate the scuffing of the photo and the mailing label ruining an otherwise beautifil cover.

As far as the content, I don't think it could get any better, or in the words of a famous Virginia turner, "Betty, can you do it again?"

A

:D :D :D

John

Website
www.velvitoil.com
I received my copy late (very unusual) so it has taken me a little while to read and catch up. I find the Journal to be very balanced as well as a wonderful representation of woodturning. There are three articles that can easily apply to everyone from beginner to experienced:the article by Alan Lacer on sharpening skews and gouges, the article by Bob Rosand about the parting tool and the article by Keith Tompkins. Without belaboring the point and listing my opinion of each part of the magazine; there is something for everyone even those who just look at the pictures.

Our Journal should not be a project manual. It should be a magazine that represents all of us and all of our interests while displaying some of the best woodturnings around.

That is exactly what it is.

I echo Angelo, "As far as the content, I don't think it could get any better, or in the words of a famous Virginia turner, "Betty, can you do it again?"

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
..Our Journal should not be a project manual. It should be a magazine that represents all of us and all of our interests while displaying some of the best woodturnings around. ...

I like that, that perhaps puts my view on it concisely into a sentence.

Our Journal should not be a project manual. It should be a magazine that represents all of us and all of our interests while displaying some of the best woodturnings around.

I agree, but with one qualification: "woodturning interests" instead of simply "interests". We all remember what happened when an "advocate" used our journal as a forum. I hope we never go there again.

As someone new to turning, I still enjoy the articles on art, design, color, carving, etc.

Frank

Last edited:
What a diverse bunch of crusty codgers (regardless of gender) we turners are!! I am sure glad there are not many strong opinions or well rooted preferences amongst the crew!!

I admit being a bit scared of the photography requirements of putting together an article -- and perhaps concerned by some of the more abrasive and less open and flexible amongst the critics. I wonder how much abuse I am likely to gather in an attempt to perhaps share some of the few things that I can do reasonably well.

I know that I am not a pro -- and certainly do not have the skills that many have, but us apprentice turners as we learn do have some things to add to the accumulated literature of the craft --

Bob Rosand is one of those who has provided in his demos and in his writing a lot of material that I have used in my growth as an apprentice. His touch of the practical and making the focus of his skill and experience directly applicable would be a loss to all of us who mine the past issues of American Woodturner for "aha" moments.

Current issue has some good materials in it -- I like the array of many things. One of my "tests" is how well will this issue work for the next crew of apprentice turners in 3-5 years. Maybe a bit heavy to the "artsy-fartsly" side of the business.

The article on the tape measure is one that I will never use as presented, but the approach, layout, mandrel and use of attractive amongst the everyday makes this a good -- no a great addition to the literature concerning how to approach the tasks of making something of several different parts that fit together to make a well working end product. My compliments to the author for making it into an achievable step by step approach that we can learn from.

I would have like a pen or similar turning article, as I am one of those who turns such items, and our local chapter uses pens and such as ways to work with highschool age apprentices.

Loved the member gallery

I think I got my money's worth!! Looking for the next one to be better, of course, but I think the turning literature is better for this issue.

You sum it up quite well Ken from Alaska. I became concerned with the direction (as you wax poetically "artsy-fartsy") of the Journal last year. Let my membership lapse. I now buy a copy of the Journal when a article or picture catches my eye. I also don't have the problem with torn, scratched or dirty copies to read, they are ALL perfect. Those who complain or voice a negative opinion about the Journal are either ignored(by leadership) or strongly shouted down by the rank and file. So be it, just NOT a good way to build membership. Certainly a lack of tolerance or respect for any "constructive" critique. Now, I venture to say, these comments will draw a critique, probably not "constructive".

--

Current issue has some good materials in it -- I like the array of many things. One of my "tests" is how well will this issue work for the next crew of apprentice turners in 3-5 years. Maybe a bit heavy to the "artsy-fartsly" side of the business.

The journal has been heavy on the artsy stuff since I've been a member. I like some of them. But sometimes I ask myself, "Why??? (bother)" or "What's this doing in a woodturning journal?. On the other hand if the journal only had articles on basic spindles, bowls, platters and hollow forms, I think the membership would soon get bored. Once one has learned the basic cutting and finishing techniques, the rest is form and design: the artsy stuff.

The articles on advanced or art pieces have a broader appeal when they show how the work was made. Not necessarily step by step, but some discussion on problems and their solutions encountered while making the piece.

To Barbara Gill's earlier point, I don't want the journal to be project manual, but an occasional project artilce wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Based on the last two issues, Betty seems to be trying to serve a broader cross section of the membership. The last issue was great. Kudos to Betty. I'm sure there'll be more to come if she and the BOD listen to the membership.

Frank

Last edited:
Back