• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Angle sander speed controller

Hi, I got this "router controller" which turned out to be a fan controller so I could control the speed of my sander with a knob.

Unfortunately, it seems less than effective. The switch has two settings I on one side II on the other. When I set it to I the knob has no effect. It just goes full speed. When I set it to II the knob does work but it goes from about half speed to full speed. Half speed is still way too fast.
I wonder if this particular one is defective or something. I know people on here use this so I was wondering if there experience is different.
Thanks,
R

Vent fans use a cheap style of motor that is quite different from the universal motors used in power tools so the vent fan speed controller will not work with your angle sander. It is to bad that you can't get a Porter Cable angle sander since the last ones they manufactured came with a built in speed controller.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Get a 3/8 inch Makita right-angle drill. It is the most durable tool that I have found and has continuously variable speed control.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Get a 3/8 inch Makita angle drill. It is the most durable tool that I have found and has continuously variable speed control.
This is great tool. Has a paddle switch to control the speed. While it comes with s screw in the paddle to limit the speed, I find sliding a finger under the paddle at the right location let’s me limit the speed quite nicely.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
This is great tool. Has a paddle switch to control the speed. While it comes with s screw in the paddle to limit the speed, I find sliding a finger under the paddle at the right location let’s me limit the speed quite nicely.
The new version of the Makita angle drill makes it impossible to place your finger under the handle. It comes with a "screw" to set the speed. I have about 5 sanders, the Makita is by far the best built one, solid, as good or better than my trusty Sioux that lasted over 20 years.

Hmm, don't think I have seen a Makita angle drill. I have had the Sioux/Milwaukee angle drills for years, from back when Sioux made them for Milwaukee. I used to get 300+ bowls from them before the bearings needed to be replaced. Went to half speed on the trigger, and much less pressure, and the life span doubled.... at least doubled.

robo hippy

Dwight, I believe the one I ordered is the one HF sells. Can you click the link and see if that's the one you have? If it is does it really slow down the drill? Like to maybe 4-600?

Hmm, don't think I have seen a Makita angle drill. I have had the Sioux/Milwaukee angle drills for years, from back when Sioux made them for Milwaukee. I used to get 300+ bowls from them before the bearings needed to be replaced. Went to half speed on the trigger, and much less pressure, and the life span doubled.... at least doubled.

robo hippy
They are a 90 degree drill in either cordless or corded.

Dang Dwight! That's the one I have. I guess I should return it and try again.
Thanks for the info,
R
According to your first post in this thread you received a fan speed controller from Amazon, however the picture on Amazon looks the same they just call it a fan speed controller?????

Sorry Don, I don't quite follow. Basically at Harbor Freight they have this
which they call a Router Speed Controller. However, when I ordered the same thing from amazon, it said it was a fan speed controller on the box. Regardless, they both look exactly like what Dwight has and he says his works as expected.
R

Sorry Don, I don't quite follow. Basically at Harbor Freight they have this
which they call a Router Speed Controller. However, when I ordered the same thing from amazon, it said it was a fan speed controller on the box. Regardless, they both look exactly like what Dwight has and he says his works as expected.
R
I understand what you are saying and if yours does not work then return it as defective and either ask for a refund or or a replacement or just go to HF and buy one. I had a similar problem with Amazon when I ordered a 2 piece set of key hole router bits listed as 1/4" shank, but the actual product was 6MM shank the difference being 6mm = .236" & 1/4" = .25".

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I don't understand the value of the 45-degree angle drills for woodturning. I understand for a pistol, where the arm/hand is at that angle when the arm is extended. However, when sanding the elbow is bent and the right-angle drill seems natural to me.

When you shop for electrical components on Amazon, you really don't get enough information to know what you are buying. They don't say what kind of motor is in the fan, but I would be surprised if it's a capacitor start. I do know that the router controller that HF sells chops the voltage to change the speed. With lower rpm you will get lower motor torque. If your sander is a random orbit sander, you might loose some effectiveness in getting the orbit size too. Not certain on that.

So I got another of the same item and it behaves exactly the same way. One side of the toggle will let you reduce to about 50% rpm, the other side is all 100%.
Disappointing. I guess it's better than nothing.
R

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Not sure how big your pieces are, but my favourite sander is a DEWALT DWP849X polisher.
1623268767228.png
Its not cheap, but a fantasic tool.

I sanded down some 100 year old long leaf pine beams very quickly, with very rough discs (24 grit, 9 inches), at 3200 rpm
Switched to fine discs and sanded bowls at 1300 (220 grit, 4 inches)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have been using a standard 90 degree Dewalt 3/8" variable speed drill.for 20 years. I bought a second one at the flea.mkt as backup for my original but it just keeps.on running. It does take 2 hands to control.it instead of one but I find that an advantage because I use my body to control the tool. This works really well.for natural edge bowls where your sanding air.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
An alternative opinion:

I did try a 90° drill at one time, but for my purposes, the 55° angled Sioux/Milwaukee (not the Chinese versions) are much more applicable to bowl work.

I have several Makita drills, (not the 90° one mentioned here), and I must concur that Makita is top quality, and every bit as good as the long discontinued American made Sioux/Milwaukee industrial grade 55° angle drills. Luckily, the discontinued Sioux/Milwaukee drills are still available on eBay, and a good lightly used one can still be had at a reasonable price......

-----odie-----

IMG_0467.JPG

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Just remember to hold the sander such that the rotating disk is moving from the solid body of the natural edge off into the air.
Ive found that by controlling the movement with my body I can sand the natural.edge bowl with the wood spinning and not thin out the leading edge. Still if it's a larger piece I will sand with the lathe off.

So I got another of the same item and it behaves exactly the same way. One side of the toggle will let you reduce to about 50% rpm, the other side is all 100%.
Disappointing. I guess it's better than nothing.
R
The router/fan speed controls like sold at harbor freight can be adjusted, such that when the dial is turned to low the tool will stop. This video shows how, very easy. I use these a lot for sanding as well as controlling drill speed for other things in the shop.

View: https://youtu.be/-ilWK_VVEzc

DUDE! Doug! That's awesome! Totally saved this thing from the dumpster! And I finally bothered to read the dang switch. I was complaining that toggling to the right the control didn't slow down at all! Well the switch says "VAR|OFF|FULL". Duh.
They should really surface this adjuster as most people are not going to want to take it a part and stick a screwdriver in it while it's on :). And for that matter most people or at least me wouldn't know that it's even possible! Yay :) !

Back