• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Another hollowing tool option

At last February's Desert Woodturning Roundup, one of the vendors demonstrated the Elbo Tool. I was very impressed. The tool uses an articulated arm clamped to the tailstock quill to control the cutting action. It seemed very slick.

Any of you had a chance to use this tool? If so, what are your thoughts? Here's a link to the maker's web site:

http://www.elbotool.com/index.html

I have seen this tool demonstrated several times and had played with one for about 5 minutes. I was quite impressed. Highland Woodworking has them in stock and say they are selling like hot cakes. Being of scottish ancestry I'm too cheap to pay the asking price and plan to make one.

Stan

Good to hear they are selling well...

It's nice to know someone involved with woodturning is making money!:) As for the selling price, it seems cheap compared to what some other "captured hollowing systems" sell for. I'm not saying $294 - complete with laser - is a bargin. It's just less expensive than the competition.

Does it seem you you that the people making the money seem to be those making the tools rather than making shavings? For me, this is a hobby and not a money making venture. (I've no intention of selling anything.) I do, sometimes, wonder if I'm in the wrong end of the hobby....

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Many years ago one of our turners demonstrated a rig he built that for lack of a better description I'll call it an Elbow tool on steroids. This thing was huge and bolted to the end of the lathe. It was the first time I had seen any sort of captured bar system. It worked extremely well but looking back on it I'm not sure what it's limitations were compared to the current crop of captured bar systems.
I was really glad to see the Elbow tool come about. Wish I could try one out. I'll probably build one of my own some day.

Back