• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Another insurance question

I know this question has been raised periodically, but I got a different response than I expected from my insurance company this morning. The recent discussion of limiting liability in the shop raised my anxiety level about possible liability related to customers/visitors to my shop if it is considered a “business.” I consider myself a hobby level turner, though I do sell a limited number of bowls, perhaps $2,000 a year +/-. I called my homeowners insurance company (the Hartford) to ask about getting coverage as a small craft business. After I described my situation to the agent, she researched it, and came back to tell me that as long as my sales were under $5,000 per year, this would still be covered under general homeowners liability and medical expense limits. I understand that this is not product liability, but more premises related issues (someone falls entering my shop, etc.). My biggest worry was that if it were “discovered” through a claim that I was operating a “business” it would risk voiding my homeowners policy. I was assured that this would not be the case.
I took notes that I’ll hang onto to document the call, and she also assured me that my inquiry and the response would be recorded in the event that a question were ever to be raised in the future. I wonder if anyone else has received a similar opinion from their insurer? I expect to sleep better going forward.

While i'm sure it varies both by state and carrier, i got a very similar answer from our independent agent here in Indiana. (it's the agency i work for, in employee benefits, so half my sales and a fair number of gifts occur at my office desk. No hiding my sales!!)
earl

Coverage seems to be arbitrarily decided by each company’s underwriters. I am strictly a hobby turner; I never handle any money. My “customers” make a contribution directly to our local Humane Society. I never know the amount or even if the transaction was completed. One insurer wouldn’t cover my shop because visiting “customers” would constitute commerce, and thus be a business enterprise. The insurer I have now covers all aspects of coverage, including product liability, under my homeowner’s policy. I agree that documentation of phone conversations would be a good idea; email might be a good idea, as well.

Been so long I am not sure if I asked about Liability but did ask about machine coverage since shop is detached and yes it is covered. It seems that I asked another time about liability since I was having a club meeting in shop and it was covered for that. This is thru USAA for all you vets

Back