• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anybody have one?

I don't have one of those but you can order the Nova chuck that was recently discussed here for $89. I just ordered one myself.

I’m sure people will come up with examples that refute my opinion, but generally I only purchase from Harbor Freight if it’s something I’m willing to consider disposable. Basically I think most of their stuff is junk. Exceptions: rubber gloves, acid and foam brushes, and the best thing I ever got from them - that tennis racquet shaped, battery powered fly swatter. It’s a marvel. Cost I think $5, and has been going for years.

I’m sure people will come up with examples that refute my opinion, but generally I only purchase from Harbor Freight if it’s something I’m willing to consider disposable. Basically I think most of their stuff is junk. Exceptions: rubber gloves, acid and foam brushes, and the best thing I ever got from them - that tennis racquet shaped, battery powered fly swatter. It’s a marvel. Cost I think $5, and has been going for years.
I have two of the fly swatters! at least two years and I haven't even replaced the battery. Rubber gloves are another staple.

Was at Harbor Freight and was gonna get a speed controller for my angle drill but they were out. Did notice a lathe chuck for 99.00 that looks decent with decent reviews. 1”-8 but I’ve got an adapter for 1 1/4-8. Might be good to have for smaller misc. stuff. Anybody have one?https://www.harborfreight.com/wood-lathe-chuck-set-6-piece-59841.html
The one thing I like about that set is the 50 mm jaws have a full dovetail on the inside. I wish Nova would do that.

I bought one similar from a club member used for $25.00 it uses tommy bars that break off. The chuck is about 2" diameter and very low quality, but it does come in handy for small work.

Don, this one is 3 3/4 diameter and uses a chuck wrench. As some above have said, I generally buy from HF those expendable item on the cheap (gloves, etc.). This chuck looks to be a direct copy of a Nova.

I’m going to disagree that power cord doesn’t always relate to being junk. My HF hoist is now 7 years old and still going strong, my HF metal cutoff saw is now 12 years old and still going strong, my angled drill is 5 years old and still going strong. I have had some losers also, 1” belt sander lasted about a year.

Last edited:
Website
www.instagram.com
I think all of us have bought stuff from Harbor Freight over the years.
Reflecting on sage advice, more than a few years ago, Bill Rubenstein [RIP] told me that, in his opinion, what HF sold were actually tool-like objects rather than tools. With that in mind, channeling that Crusader in "Raiders", choose wisely.

I did get a couple of their hardened steel pry bars. Cut the ends off, and will eventually silver solder some tantung onto the ends for specialty box tools. Other than that, I did buy a metal bending thing from them. I had to spend a couple of hours working on it to get it square/flat, and to function properly. I would rather buy a tool that functions right out of the box rather than have to fiddle with it for a couple of hours.

robo hippy

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I did get a couple of their hardened steel pry bars. Cut the ends off, and will eventually silver solder some tantung onto the ends for specialty box tools. Other than that, I did buy a metal bending thing from them. I had to spend a couple of hours working on it to get it square/flat, and to function properly. I would rather buy a tool that functions right out of the box rather than have to fiddle with it for a couple of hours.

robo hippy
Robo, it sure would be helpful to hit the "reply" button (as above) so we might have a clue as to what you are talking about. A quick scan of the 17 posts above yours and I didn't / couldn't find the related topic you are responding to. Even a "@Robo" would help narrow down the topic. Unfortunately, you are not the only one that doesn't make this reference to the topic at hand.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Robo, it sure would be helpful to hit the "reply" button (as above) so we might have a clue as to what you are talking about. A quick scan of the 17 posts above yours and I didn't / couldn't find the related topic you are responding to. Even a "@Robo" would help narrow down the topic. Unfortunately, you are not the only one that doesn't make this reference to the topic at hand.
I think the reference might be in the first sentence?
I did get a couple of their hardened steel pry bars.
"their" as in Harbor Freight ? Was my reaction. (Which I agree with many similar responses to HF tools - a lot of them I might buy if I only needed a cheap on-or-two use solution that I may never use again, or something I could perhaps re-purpose some part of it, etc. However there are a few (VERY FEW) hidden gems at HF now and then that are well worth going for, for other lines of work)

I’m going to disagree that power cord doesn’t always relate to being junk. My HF hoist is now 7 years old and still going strong, my HF metal cutoff saw is now 12 years old and still going strong, my angled drill is 5 years old and still going strong. I have had some losers also, 1” belt sander lasted about a year.
I have the same experience. I only have one HF tool with a cord. I have their portable band saw. Very heavy duty and works great. I like it as much as all of the Milwaukee portaband saws I have used.

Website
But, how does that relate to the OP's original question ... or any of the other responses? I didn't find a reference after a quick check - but I could have missed it. As stated, even a (i.e.) @Brian Gustin would be helpful.
I am not sure what you're missing, if anything? Seems to me the OP's original question was asking opinions on a particular Harbor Freight tool, and most of the rest, including Robo's, were in response to that either relating their experience with their own Harbor Freight tools, (if not that specific one), or with HF in general? Color me just as confused as you, I guess, but I'm not seeing what you're getting at... To me, Robo's response was to the Original Post, and seems well related to the subject at hand? (I.E. His recommendation that if it is a tool you may use often, better off getting something you don't have to waste time fiddling with to get it to work how you want it.)

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I am not sure what you're missing, if anything? Seems to me the OP's original question was asking opinions on a particular Harbor Freight tool, and most of the rest, including Robo's, were in response to that either relating their experience with their own Harbor Freight tools, (if not that specific one), or with HF in general? Color me just as confused as you, I guess, but I'm not seeing what you're getting at... To me, Robo's response was to the Original Post, and seems well related to the subject at hand? (I.E. His recommendation that if it is a tool you may use often, better off getting something you don't have to waste time fiddling with to get it to work how you want it.)
I suppose you are right, Brian ... most of the responses were all over the place. Just a pet peeve of mine when I have to guess what the poster is responding to. Some of these threads go on for days, weeks, or months, etc., and sometimes take a lot of twists & turns - so clicking the "Reply" button eliminates the confusion for me (and I'm sure for others). The "Woodturning Discussion Forum" lists the OP's original title - in this case, "Anybody Have One?" (speed controller or lathe chuck) and I open up the new post(s) about cutting up pry bars (?????). Maybe it's just me and my old age! :(

I’m the OP and I’ll try to clarify what I was after. I’ve got 3 Novas and a Oneway Talon. I saw the Nova clone at Harbor Freight and thought that if it were decent, I could use it for small stuff where the 1”-8 was mounted on my 1 1/4”-8 adapter. Don’t want to use it for large items that would be hung out too far with an adapter. I also saw in another thread about the Nova from Canada. Don’t want to order from there. I’ve bought many items from Harbor Freight over the years both corded and not. Some good, some not. Have a set of Aluminum pipe wrenches that are probably 35+ years old that were used in a machining and fab shop for 25+ years. Bought them when HF mailed newsprint type catalogs. So, back to my OP. Does anyone have the chuck in question and is it worth a cuss. Thanks.

Website
I’m the OP and I’ll try to clarify what I was after. I’ve got 3 Novas and a Oneway Talon. I saw the Nova clone at Harbor Freight and thought that if it were decent, I could use it for small stuff where the 1”-8 was mounted on my 1 1/4”-8 adapter. Don’t want to use it for large items that would be hung out too far with an adapter. I also saw in another thread about the Nova from Canada. Don’t want to order from there. I’ve bought many items from Harbor Freight over the years both corded and not. Some good, some not. Have a set of Aluminum pipe wrenches that are probably 35+ years old that were used in a machining and fab shop for 25+ years. Bought them when HF mailed newsprint type catalogs. So, back to my OP. Does anyone have the chuck in question and is it worth a cuss. Thanks.
Well, it is a Bauer, which is supposed to be Harbor Freight's "Premium" brand , and I have heard enough good things about it that I'd be willing to pop for one myself, were I in the market - I have a Nova already, some jaw sets, and a no-name tommy bar chuck that came with my used HF lathe, and a Barracuda from PSI woodworking with 3 jaw sets, Out of the three, I really like the Nova, The upside it has much smoother operation and it is the most balanced chuck when it runs on my lathe (least vibration) The Barracuda, I have set up with the biggest diameter jaws (when I want to turn big stuff) and the Nova, I use with the standard jaws, and recently got a off-brand clone jaw set for smaller recess type (or small diameter stub tenons)

The HF Bauer chuck looks much like the Nova, and I'd bet based on my Nova experience, you can also get the off-brand jaw sets that "fit" Nova and they should work well, too, I imagine. Upshot is, I don't own one, but if I was interested enough in getting a 4th chuck, I wouldn't hesitate much to grab one (Assuming the ones in Canada were no longer available by then at that $89 price tag!)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

But, how does that relate to the OP's original question ... or any of the other responses? I didn't find a reference after a quick check - but I could have missed it. As stated, even a (i.e.) @Brian Gustin would be helpful.

I suppose you are right, Brian ... most of the responses were all over the place. Just a pet peeve of mine when I have to guess what the poster is responding to. Some of these threads go on for days, weeks, or months, etc., and sometimes take a lot of twists & turns - so clicking the "Reply" button eliminates the confusion for me (and I'm sure for others). The "Woodturning Discussion Forum" lists the OP's original title - in this case, "Anybody Have One?" (speed controller or lathe chuck) and I open up the new post(s) about cutting up pry bars (?????). Maybe it's just me and my old age! :(

The original topic was about a particular item at Harbor Freight. It's not at all surprising that the topic morphed into a more general discussion about products sold at HF. Like it or not, that's the nature of internet forums. Reed was responding to the topic at hand and not necessarily to any particular post. Let's be respectful towards each other ... as @Steve Worcester has said, "Play nice, the sandbox is big enough for all of us". If you see a problem, please use the Report feature that is found at the bottom of every post.

I have hit the 'reply' button before, and the results made no sense to me at all. I am not very tech inclined.... Part of why I never post pictures...

robo hippy

I saw that Kurt but seemed too good to be true. How’s the shipping from Canada?

Slow. My order was $22 shipping. The total was $120 but that is Canadian dollars. Worked out to about $90 US if I recall. The insert was backordered so by the time I get the chuck it will have been two weeks.

Last edited:
I brought the Bauer 3 3/4" chuck about 3weeks ago for $99. It comes with two Jaw sets (#1)small dovetail 1 7/8 - 3 7/8" and (#2)large round jaws 3 5/8 - 4 7/8" along with a screw chuck and a sliding T-handle key.
The dovetail jaws on the small set are deep and true dovetail, they grip solid and hold green wood without slipping. The chuck has indexing to 24 positions on the back. It seems to spin true. It is a nice looking chuck with pleasing finish. When the jaws are being tightened it seems to hit a point where the gears slip and you have to give another turn or two to get them tight. I'm not sure if this is good or bad or if it will affect longevity. I have not tried the larger jaws yet.
I have two sets of HF gouges that I brought about 10 years ago they are all HSS and take a nice edge and cut well there were no bowl goughes in the sets only spindle, scrapers and parting gouges.

Last edited:
Thanks William. It has been out of stock at my local HF but is available now. Got a 10% off email from them this morning so I’ll go by this weekend.

When the jaws are being tightened it seems to hit a point where the gears slip and you have to give another turn or two to get them tight
I doubt the gears are slipping. Be sure the jaws are fully seated on the slides and the jaw mount screws are snug. It could be some typycal slop in the jaw slides and/or compressing of the wood . Other causes are not having the tops of the jaws seated against the wood, and the tenon/mortise too long and touching below.

It sticks,slips or catches even when there is no wood in the chuck. This occurs when just holding the chuck it in your hand and rotating the jaws with the T-bar. It seems to move more freely when you push in while turning. Both female ports for the T-bar insert seems to be slightly loose. Not at all as smooth as my Oneway Talon chuck.

I don't have one of those but you can order the Nova chuck that was recently discussed here for $89. I just ordered one myself.

Thanks for this heads up. I needed a second Supernova2 so I just ordered one. Including shipping, it came out to $92 American, cheaper than the $99 Harbor Freight version I was planning to buy.

And twice the quality.
And it included a free threaded insert with locking set screw for reverse turning that inserts in the chuck. They offer ones to fit any spindle thread pattern. My Nova DVR XP is 1 1/4” x 8 tpi.

I would have had to use a separate 1 1/4x8tpi to 1x8tpi thread adapter with the Harbor Freight chuck.

Last edited:
Picked one up yesterday- runs very concentric, scroll turns in and out fairly smooth. Biggest issue to me down the road would be the screws to hold the jaws. Screws are smaller thread size than Nova and have a much smaller countersink head than SAE or metric screws. Probably gonna take it back. With 3 Novas and a Oneway Talon, I’m leaning toward the Axminster line due to the jaw selection.

Dang-I wish I had waited to get this deal! A couple of weeks ago I ordered just the Nova chuck body and a 1.25x8tpi insert and paid almost twice this much. Anyway, between my 2 Novas and the bigger Record Power SC 4 chucks I got when I upgraded to the PM 3520 for bigger work, I'm now covered for most jaw most sizes I need without changing jaws: 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm and 130mm (for platters and such). I may need to get something bigger when I start coring big wet blanks, which is in my future plans.

For my smaller stuff like shaving brushes and what-not, I've got the Beall collet chuck with 5 collet sizes.

It sticks,slips or catches even when there is no wood in the chuck. This occurs when just holding the chuck it in your hand and rotating the jaws with the T-bar. It seems to move more freely when you push in while turning. Both female ports for the T-bar insert seems to be slightly loose. Not at all as smooth as my Oneway Talon chuck.
I recently had the same problem with one of my older SN2 chucks.
It was a burr on one end of the scroll. Probably was over tightened in the full open position ( try ing to close the chuck by turning it to the right).
I took it apart removed the burr cleaned the chuck reassembled and viola back to its excellent normal self.

Back