• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anybody here using the Japanese Finkat sandpapers?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I just noticed that CSUSA is closing out the 240gt paper.....what's up with that?

The 240gt is overwhelmingly my starting grit for exterior surfaces on bowls, so this grit is important to me. I suppose I can go with the Norton 220......but, it does seem odd that Finkat would discontinue the 240gt and still be making all the other grits.

I've been using the Finkat sandpapers for a couple decades, and have been very happy with the consistency, and performance.

-----odie-----

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Not quite any answer you may be interested in, but I've fallen in love with 3M's Cubitron sandpapers .. I got some for a 5" ROS that is like a fabric mesh and it is so flexible it handles small curves beautifully - far better than any paper backed sandpaper , so if looking for alternatives, Cubitron might fit the bill for you? Far as I go, never even heard of Finkat..

odie

TOTW Team
Not quite any answer you may be interested in, but I've fallen in love with 3M's Cubitron sandpapers .. I got some for a 5" ROS that is like a fabric mesh and it is so flexible it handles small curves beautifully - far better than any paper backed sandpaper , so if looking for alternatives, Cubitron might fit the bill for you? Far as I go, never even heard of Finkat..

I've probably got 2-3 years supply of Finkat on hand, because I use it for bumping up orders to meet free shipping requirements.....but, I'll keep other possibilities in mind, should I decide to change sanding papers in the future.

As far as the possible reasoning for discontinuing the 240gt.....I suppose it might be possible the manufacturer is planning on going with the more popular 220gt in the future......?????

-----odie-----

www.turningwood.com
I've been buying Kovax Eagle from Steve Worcester at Turningwood now for several years. Because I mostly sand coated surfaces, the properties of silicon carbide makes sense - it sharper and requires much less pressure.
While I sand sealer (lots of orange-peel) with 220, my starting point on clearcoat is 800 graduating to 3000 - I don't do wet sanding, only dry.
QUESTION: While I've been using "Finkat" for years now, I've always wondered what the word "Finkat" means. Anybody know?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I just noticed that CSUSA is closing out the 240gt paper.....what's up with that?

I did some Googling (Eagle Finkat sandpaper) and found something very interesting: they make P220, P240, and P280 grit sandpaper. Maybe CSUSA is switching to P220. You could call them and ask to speak to either Kip or Rex to get it straight from the horse's mouth. I found that there are several online dealers including Amazon that can supply any of the grits that you want. Here is an Eagle Finkat brochure. Here is a list of available grits.

odie

TOTW Team
I did some Googling (Eagle Finkat sandpaper) and found something very interesting: they make P220, P240, and P280 grit sandpaper. Maybe CSUSA is switching to P220. You could call them and ask to speak to either Kip or Rex to get it straight from the horse's mouth. I found that there are several online dealers including Amazon that can supply any of the grits that you want. Here is an Eagle Finkat brochure. Here is a list of available grits.

OK, thanks for this information, Bill.

I suppose there is some specific application for 220 and 240 grits, but I was using 220 (3M?) prior to switching over to the Finkat brand about a decade, or more ago. I didn't see much difference in the two grits, while using them for my bowls......so, the switch-over came without any noticeable difference. If they change their inventory to 220, that would be fine with me.

-----odie-----

I found their advertising intriguing and checked them out, but was disappointed to find they didnt have any discs smaller than 5”.

I am hoping that some one can buy bulk from 3M and start cutting smaller discs. The Project Farm on You Tube did an abrasive disc comparison and the Cubitron came out pretty much on top. We have heard about it forever, but previously they were only available in PSA and sanding sheet size. Those who use it really like it.

robo hippy

Website
I found their advertising intriguing and checked them out, but was disappointed to find they didnt have any discs smaller than 5”.
I've actually used the Xtract disks 5 inch that I got for my ROS with my 2 inch drill mandrel - they are so filmy and flexible they actually did not need to be cut down for the large bowl I was sanding and the unsupported ends worked much like those "finger" sanding disks I got from Woodturners wonders (and speaking of which, I can cut my own disks of that style by trimming down a 5 hole or 6 hole ROS sanding disk, in a pinch) These are what I use - (Taytools has a sample pack as well if you want to give a trial run) and they have it in 3", 5" and 6" disks.

3M™ 710W Xtract™ Net Sanding Discs Cubitron II​

I also got some of their flat sheets of paper for other purposes, and after seeing how well it works for hand sanding (barely even need any pressure, just drag fresh paper over the wood, and it cuts!) I decided that pretty much anything I get in sandpaper from now on is going to be 3M Cubitron.. Im just amazed at how much better it works and it outlasts my regular sanding disks like 2:1 or 3:1 (if I actually pay attention to using it like someone else bought it)

Hmmmmm!!!!!! Need to find those 3 M cubitron discs for wood turning.....

Also, I may have to revise my opinion on the mesh abrasives. I had tried them some years back, and without his fancy sander, it seemed that the mesh, up to about 220, was slower than standard abrasives, but above that, they cut about the same.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hmmmmm!!!!!! Need to find those 3 M cubitron discs for wood turning.....

Also, I may have to revise my opinion on the mesh abrasives. I had tried them some years back, and without his fancy sander, it seemed that the mesh, up to about 220, was slower than standard abrasives, but above that, they cut about the same.

robo hippy

My experience with Abranet is that it cuts much faster than any sheet sandpaper that I have used and lasts far longer. It also doesn't clog when used on dry wood. I don't normally sand wet wood.

Impressive video, I have also used mesh in the past and not super impressed with it, I did e-mail 3-M and asked if they were making 2" and 3" hook and loop disc and the grit size available. Explained about the video and remarked about wood turners interest in the smaller size discs, maybe if enough of us contacted them...the pig might fly

Website
Impressive video, I have also used mesh in the past and not super impressed with it, I did e-mail 3-M and asked if they were making 2" and 3" hook and loop disc and the grit size available. Explained about the video and remarked about wood turners interest in the smaller size discs, maybe if enough of us contacted them...the pig might fly
they do have 3 inch available - under their Xtract branded cubitron II disks (I posted the exact title of the disks as listed at taytools in an earlier post above - post # 11) - at least you can order them in 3" or 5" or 6" at taytools where I got mine from. I dunno about 2", but , I can easily make 2 inch disks out of my worn-out 5 inchers (since ROS disks tend to not wear out the centers so much) , and as I posted above a 3 inch disk on a 2 inch mandrel does a pretty good job of being a "flap" disk

Thanks Brian, I have a couple of the two inch, but quit using them. The three inch ones will work. Just ordered a good variety, will try them out on the next bowl! Maybe 3M will send me a complete list of their distributors, ( since I didn't slow down and read all of the posts...)

Last edited:
Fastenall and Grainger are supposed to carry the 3M products. I wrote back to 3M about their abrasives and told them that they need to get into the woodturning market. For me, I want the 3 3/8 and 2 3/8 inch discs that Vince sells. I found out a long time ago that if you have a 3 inch pad on a 3 inch interface pad, since they never go on perfectly centered, the edge of the pad will leave 80 grit scratches. Maybe a number of us need to rattle 3M's chains....

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
Odie -
You may want to watch this video. It is the best and most objective, scientific sandpaper test I have ever seen.

Thanks for the interesting video, Tim... :)

The real trick is having a surface that needs little sanding to begin with. <----This point needs to be stressed. I have gone into the reasons for this in depth many times on these forums. A shortened version is this: Sanding is extremely problematic for bowl turners because it tends to destroy geometric integrity. To take advantage of this lack of a need to sand, a bowl turner must refine the use of his tools prior to sanding, and this must be the most important priority for anyone who intends to maintain that geometric integrity.

I'm satisfied with the Finkat papers for my very specific needs. My needs are not the same as most turners, because my requirements are not the same as most turners.

-----odie-----

Odie, I am absolute agreement with the statement 'having a surface that needs little sanding'.
I truly believe new turners need to study great turners and their individual style of grinds, then choose what they think will work for them, learn to shape and sharpen them, then make shavings...though I have turned for many years, I am so looking forward to acquiring an improved sharpening system, want to try the Stuart Batty grind, mainly though I want to achieve some repeatable grinds and sharper chisels.

I saw an online comparison that gave high ratings to the Cubitron; thought I'd like to try it. Where did you get yours? I've seen sheets but not 2" discs.

I just ordered an assortment of the 3" from Taytools, and it appears if I want to open an account with 3M, I can purchase the 3" in bulk orders of 300/case. I replied and asked the cost of a case and also asked if 3M made 2" discs and if not were there any plans to do so. I'll post his response when received. I did mention that there was quite a bit of interest in the 2" size.

Well, in trying to track down some of the cubitron abrasives, Fastenal only sells to commercial businesses. In talking to the local place, they suggested Zoro.com, which is kind of an outlet or sub branch of Grainger. We are communicating. I am trying to get belts for my drum sander, and maybe bulk sheets of hook and loop. Might be worth punching my own discs... Will keep you all posted.

robo hippy

I just got a box of 3M Xtract Cubitron II discs to try out. In the fine print on the box it says, "For orbital sander use only. DO NOT use with rotary sander." As are others, I'm going to try them with my rotary power sander, neener-neener 3M. (It also says "For industrial/commercial use only. Not for consumer use or sale." Hahahaha)

Is this a CYA statement for 3M, or is there some actual adverse effect possible here? Is such a statement typical on other sanding discs we use, or is this going to be like the first time I used a belt sander and went right through the board?

Hmm, guess 3M doesn't know how big the 'hobby' market is.... I do have a Festool ROS, and always turn the speeds down when sanding, just like I do when sanding out my bowls. Have to get my hands on some to see.

robo hippy

My lathe is back together so I was able to try out 3M Xtract Cubitron II discs. I only used the 240 and 320 grits, first impression was they cut like the next grit close to them. The 240 grit cut almost like 120 and the 320 cut like my paper 220. They stay on the drill pad and are aggressive with just a light touch to the wood. When I got a little too pushy the heat created took the edge off the outer cutters of the discs, very light touch cuts great and does not burn up the discs. One thing I noticed was that the sanding dust accumulated on the surface of the pad under the disc somewhat, didn't use the discs long enough to fill that area completely but could shake the accumulation off when changing discs. Would really like to see them develop much finer grits, will have to go back to the paper discs to get that no scratch polished finish.

Well, in trying to track down some of the cubitron abrasives, Fastenal only sells to commercial businesses. In talking to the local place, they suggested Zoro.com, which is kind of an outlet or sub branch of Grainger. We are communicating. I am trying to get belts for my drum sander, and maybe bulk sheets of hook and loop. Might be worth punching my own discs... Will keep you all posted.

robo hippy
Not sure if it will help but, I got some of the 3" Cubitron discs from Amazon and they're still showing as available.

Ok I tried some 3 inch Cubitron II disks (150 grit). When used with a rotary drill sanding pad, they wore out quickly, perhaps slightly quicker than the Industrial Abrasives paper I usually use. But on my Metabo ROS, they showed exceptional durability, lasting far longer than my standard paper.

odie

TOTW Team

The 240gt is overwhelmingly my starting grit for exterior surfaces on bowls, so this grit is important to me. I suppose I can go with the Norton 220......but, it does seem odd that Finkat would discontinue the 240gt and still be making all the other grits.

I've been using the Finkat sandpapers for a couple decades, and have been very happy with the consistency, and performance.

-----odie-----

Update......Finkat 240 grit is back in stock. I think maybe CSUSA mistakenly ran a "closeout", when a sale on existing stock would have been more appropriate.

-----odie-----

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I just ordered an assortment of the 3" from Taytools, and it appears if I want to open an account with 3M, I can purchase the 3" in bulk orders of 300/case. I replied and asked the cost of a case and also asked if 3M made 2" discs and if not were there any plans to do so. I'll post his response when received. I did mention that there was quite a bit of interest in the 2" size.
I don't know of any manufacturer that makes 2". All the 2" you see are likely from convertors or someone like us who does it in house.
And 3m won't see to you direct, it would be through a jobber, but you are going to get the best price by going with case quantities for sure.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hmm, guess 3M doesn't know how big the 'hobby' market is.... I do have a Festool ROS, and always turn the speeds down when sanding, just like I do when sanding out my bowls. Have to get my hands on some to see.

robo hippy

3M also says that about all of their powered respirators and filter cartridges. I think that they are using some marketing psychology. If they say it’s wonderful but you can’t buy it, that makes you more determined to buy it.

-----odie-----
Looked it up here its a little expensive 4" x 12yards $74 plus shipping, might stick with my Noritake Astra dot

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Looked it up here its a little expensive 4" x 12yards $74 plus shipping, might stick with my Noritake Astra dot
They don’t bring Astra Dot into the US unfortunately.

Back