• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone replace a spindle on a JET 1221VS?

My leg inadvertently turned the reverse switch on my 1221VS without my knowledge and I believe I may have cross threaded the spindle. None of the chucks or faceplates will mount but they will go on my Rikon readily. I looked at the spindle and it looks borked. I will probably just buy another one and put it on (~$100). Have any of you folks cross threaded your spindle? Any ideas how to get the existing one to work?
Thanks....

Attachments

• 20240227_161517.jpg
    20240227_161517.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 62
She's munched. Bummer... A machine shop might be able to re-chase that thread, without guarantee, and likely for a higher price than a new one. My vote- new spindle. And since you're in there, new bearings (the best brand you can buy that matches the factory spec) and a new belt, too. The bearings and belt should be much cheaper in comparison to the new spindle, an easy decision to replace them. If needed, let a machine shop do the work, esp. if some specialty tools and knowledge are needed. I have no knowledge of pulling the spindle on your lathe.

It didn't hurt the threads on the chuck?

Another idea. Is that thread 1.25" x 8tpi? Here's a link to Grainger for various threading dies, maybe some meant to repair battered threads. https://www.grainger.com/category/m...ternal-threading-tools/thread-repair-hex-dies Others are available from Amazon, etc., but somewhere like Grainger is likely to sell something industry actually uses, so you'll be better assured to get something that may get you back on the road. Then see if youtube has videos of how to do this. Even if the threads don't get their top thread edge profile back, if the overall pitch of the thread can be re-established to allow full threaded installation of a chuck or faceplate, you're in business again. After all, the threads are only used to keep the fitment on the spindle, the shoulder of the spindle left of the threads bears all the forces of the turning process. I've never done this before, I'm sure there is someone here that can support or refute my idea. Good luck.

I'd start with a triangular file to clean up the flat top threads. There are plenty of good threads in the front. You have absolutely nothing to loose by working on the existing threads now. Replacing is no big deal by the way. Setting the preload on the bearings with the hand wheel takes some concentration. I can't say for sure, but some of the mini lathes have doubled up set screws on the pulley to work as a lock. Leave you hammer on the hook, you won't need it.

Looks more like chuck removal with the grub screw tightened. (I did that once) Does it thread on partway, until it hits that area? If the threads on the front are still good, that would be pretty easy to clean up. You could buy a die or just go slowly with a small 3 corner file.

It looks like there's something wrong with your threads. The crests are missing on them toward the headstock. That would almost be guranteed to have been done purposely. It would be hard to have done accidently. Usually the damage would be at the end.

BTW, you didn't cross thread it. You just damaged it a bit.

Just to clarify, did your chucks, etc fit on this spindle at one time?

The treads can easily be repaired. Here's an off-shore clone of thr tool I have've used many times to repair thread damage. Provided your spindle is 1-1/4" diameter or less and are an inch series thread like 8 tpi its an easy job.

I do not see cross threaded thread on that spindle.

It does not take much damage on the end of a spindle bolt etc to prevent pieces to tread onto that spindle.

I have used tread repair files, they are not that expensive and easy to use, they will repair treads to their original shape.

Here is one that gives you 8 different threads it will repair, there are several places that sell these files, just make sure it is for steel and has the 8 TPI it will repair.

Triangular filed are not going to do the repair, it ca file some spots that are damaged, not whole threads

From the looks of that spindle, I think a 1"-8 threading die will get you in business again but the spindle threads won't have quite the bite the original threads had. That is likely never to be a problem.

I've got lots of thread files and they often work well on more threads, but 8 TPI may be a little much. I think a die would be more predictable for such a short threading length.

As suggested, chucking the spindle in a metal lathe and chasing the threads will be a good option also if you know anyone that can do that for you.

I do not see cross threaded thread on that spindle.

It does not take much damage on the end of a spindle bolt etc to prevent pieces to tread onto that spindle.

I have used tread repair files, they are not that expensive and easy to use, they will repair treads to their original shape.

Here is one that gives you 8 different threads it will repair, there are several places that sell these files, just make sure it is for steel and has the 8 TPI it will repair.

Triangular filed are not going to do the repair, it ca file some spots that are damaged, not whole threads

I agree Leo. I don't think it's cross threaded either. I will inspect it today and get a better look.

This morning I took a 1 x 8 tpi bolt and carefully threaded it onto the spindle with slight wrenching. It seemed to clean up the threads enough to where things work now. I still have another one coming just for backup.
Thanks all for the input!

Attachments

• 20240228_103632.jpg
    20240228_103632.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 18
I replaced the bearings on my 1221 a couple weeks ago. Only took a couple hours. Would have been much less, but it was stuck. Took me a while to research that you just pound it out from the spindle end. Use a block of wood to protect the threads. I also spent some time sifting thru chips to find the spring I dropped.

I could probably do it again in 1/2 hour.

I wanted to point out that the Jet 1221's come with the threads closest to the headstock flat like that- it does not represent damage. I have two of them for when I teach in my studio, and one of them has never been used. The faceplate was never taken off since shipping (until now for me to snap this photo for you all), so here is what they look like brand new from the factory. And, yes, of course I loosened the set screws on the faceplate prior to taking it off.

20240303_081239.jpg

I replaced the old spindle this morning. Took all of 20 min. The new spindle seems to be running much smoother than the old one. Not sure why....

I wanted to point out that the Jet 1221's come with the threads closest to the headstock flat like that- it does not represent damage. I have two of them for when I teach in my studio, and one of them has never been used. The faceplate was never taken off since shipping (until now for me to snap this photo for you all), so here is what they look like brand new from the factory. And, yes, of course I loosened the set screws on the faceplate prior to taking it off.

View attachment 61167
Interesting and useful. Anyone know why it's threaded that way?

Back