• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Artisan ring chuck by Dayacom

Has anybody bought one of these from Craft Supplies to fit 1¼" x 8 headstock and had them not screw on when you tried to mount it on the lathe?
I ordered a set and had that happen. Kudos to the folks at Craft Supplies, they sent a return label and promptly sent a new one. Unfortunately the new one arrived in the same condition as the last one. I suspect Dayacom has sent them a bad batch. I’ll talk to them Monday and see if I can get them to do a test fit before shipping another one, I just wonder if there are others out there that had the same problem.

I got to talk to the folks. The tech told me that Novas are a problem fitting that chuck and recommended I tap the chuck out to fit. My response, I shouldnt have to do that. I did advise them they need to put a warning in their ad about this problem. I will be sending the chuck back but keeping the spacers and ring bodies. I have a Beall chuck and a 3/8” shaft I can adapt to do the same thing.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
May not be their fault. Once in blue moon I've run into a lathe and chuck that won't fit. All other accessories do fit. What I think happens is all threads have a go/ no go tolerance. If you get one that is a hair fat and another that is a hair small they may not go together even when they seem to work perfectly on other lathes. The last time I saw this was on a Nova lathe and a vicmarc chuck. Both are high quality pieces of gear. All my other chucks and faceplates fit and that chuck fit all my other 1 1/4 lathes and accessories. I put the lathe in reverse and ran a triangular file over the threads about 8 or ten light passes and it took care of the problem. Still don't know whether it was the chuck or spindle but I didn't have a 1 1/4x8 die to cut new threads on the chuck.

Last edited:
So I am on my 3rd 1 1/4 8TPI Artisan Ring chuck. It goes on maybe a 1/4 turn then stops. the threads appear to be correct. I did a wooden rod and the witness mark are 8 TPI. Of course it is wood. The people a t Craft Supply are nice and on the third on they said they would have someone test it before they sent it. Obviously they didn't. I have a Robust American made lathe. Pretty pricey and high quality. I have never had anyother product not screw on. some of the cheap ones were a little tighter than I like but they went on. I have to believe this iis a bad batch. Did anyone solve this.

One thing I have noticed is the threads on my Nova chucks are a bit flat topped and the Dayacom units threads are sharp peaked. This tells me the threads are jamming at the bottom of the headstock threads. If someone with a metal lathe were to machine the inside threads to a flat top I think they would fit properly.

I suppose a 1 1/4 x 8 tap would help you. Available and a bit expensive.
A thought; you could put a small paint line on the first three or four threads on your spindle. Screw the offending chuck on as far a reasonable, take it off and look for where there is no paint on the spindle threads. Machinists and mechanics use something called Prussian blue for these types of situations.

Just as an aside, I use collet chucks on my lathe for turning small stuff. I just make shafts to suit, or just use threaded rod.

We don’t have them over here but in the US you can get these direct threaded ones:

I was gifted for Christmas a ring turning setup from Craft supply. The Artisan Ring Turning Chuck I received did not fit on my Robust. It would go on the mandrel about a thread and a half. So I sent it back. They paid for all the shipping both ways, so I am just out time. New mandrel arrived. Same problem. CS no problem keep it and we will send another one but will have the techs check it first. New mandrel arrives. Same problem and I had to cut the bag open so I an thinking the tech did not check it. This time I email them and take directly to the tech. He gives me a BS line about how different manufacture like NOVA sometime don’t have the same thread. Thread specification are governed so that this does not happen (chased or rolled). I have NOVA products, Oneway products, Robust products, Niles products, I even have some cheap adaptors from peach tree and they all work reasonably well. I can certainly get them on more than a thread and a half. The CS tech told me the threads probably need to be chased. I told him the die to do that is more than your tool. He said no I didn’t mean for you to do it I will and send one to you. Received the new mandrel in Feb 24 and it worked like a charm. Good company just a little slow on the up take.

I did find the boring tool a little funny to use, it too is a mediocre design but for the price you cant beat it.

Back