• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

As it applies to woodturning, what is the definition of "embellishment"?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt to define the term "embellishment", as it applies to woodturning.

My definition is as follows:

===============================================================

If it changes the shape of the turned object, and it's done off the lathe.....it's embellishment.

If it alters the visual statement of what nature provides.....it's embellishment.

If it's done off the lathe.....it's embellishment.

This is what the dictionary says:

embellish

ĕm-bĕl′ĭsh

transitive verb​

1. To make beautiful, as by ornamentation; decorate.
  2. To add ornamental or fictitious details to.
  3. To make beautiful or elegant by ornaments; to decorate; to adorn.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

-o-

odie

TOTW Team
@hockenbery

Thanks for supplying that from the FL state fair.

I think it's a good thing to establish differences between the different kinds of woodturning in a competitive arena.

In FL state's definitions above, the differences between standard bowl and embellished bowl says pretty much the same thing as I was attempting to express in post #1.

It might be a good thing for AAW to establish the categories of woodturning as FL state did.....and, to focus on these different aspects.

-o-

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
If we consider the AAW "member's gallery", I'd say it consists of about 90% embellishment, as opposed to traditional turning. This is strictly an observation, and not meant as commentary, pro or con.....

https://www.aawforum.org/community/media/

I'd speculate that most everyone who buys a lathe, begins that journey with traditional type turnings, and the great majority of them gravitate to embellishments. When this happens, the focus of the effort also changes.

-o-

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I think your definition is pretty comprehensive, Odie. I might argue that #3 “If it’s done off the lathe” is not necessary though (in the sense that the first two cover everything). Same for the “off the lathe” qualifier in rule 1. Location isn’t important, as embellishment can be done on or off the lathe.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'd speculate that most everyone who buys a lathe, begins that journey with traditional type turnings, and the great majority of them gravitate to embellishments. When this happens, the focus of the effort also changes.

Many well known turners tend to be known for work that falls into two categories

1. Those who are known for original work with one or more Signature series of work. These folks concentrate on form and art
Bosch, Burchard, Stirt, Drozda, Priddle, Ellsworth, Springette, Weidman, Theobald, Vesery, ……

2. Those who are known for their skills in making common forms - they tend to do it faster and better than most. These folks concentrate on function.
Their work tends to not be recognizable on sight as their work
Mahoney, Cook, Batty, Lucas, Larson,

There is cross over. Trent Bosch used to do production bowl turning but he is the most creative turner I have ever met.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
A few years ago a group tried to form as anti - Artsi fartsi - they had te requirement that at least 50% of the work had to be done on the lathe.

Then they realized this eliminated:
Segmented, pens, bottle stoppers, many NE bowls…. - common items where blank prep and off the lathe fishing usually takes more time than the turning.

To pick some nits:

Sanding, done on or off the lathe alters the appearance by hiding surface scratches.
Finishes , applied off the lathe alter the appearance of the item.
Polishing, done off the lathe alter the appearance from shiny to matt.

What I am trying to say is that it is almost impossible to define something creative into rigid categories, and no I am not a lawyer.

Stu

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
It might be a good thing for AAW to establish the categories of woodturning as FL state did.....and, to focus on these different aspects.

AAW has done this a little bit.
The pen turners, segmented turners, and ornamental turners have all formed AAW chapters that meet on line and have occasional face to face symposia or have sessions at the AAW symposium.

Hmm, I never embellish anything I turn. To me that is the proverbial 'guilding the lily'. I would say there are two types of guilding, one would be coloring, and the other would be changing the texture of the surface as in carving beads and coves. I will never forget watching Mike Mahoney turn for the first time. It was at the Portland Symposium in 2005 or so, and he was doing a platter. He turned a slight bead on the inside and was commenting on how the bead would draw the eye down into the inside of the platter, and as he was explaining, my thought was 'you had a nice smooth flowing form, and then you went and put a speed bump in the middle of it.' Different strokes for different folks.... I just like smooth flowing lines.

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
A few years ago a group tried to form as anti - Artsi fartsi - they had te requirement that at least 50% of the work had to be done on the lathe.

Then they realized this eliminated:
Segmented, pens, bottle stoppers, many NE bowls…. - common items where blank prep and off the lathe fishing usually takes more time than the turning.

Oh, I think that's very true, Al.....

All I'm trying to do is define "embellishment", and how that relates to turning that is done on the lathe in a more traditional manner.

The segmented turnings, pens bottle stoppers, and etc., all belong within the realm of woodturning, but there should be a defining element for everything individually.....as well as keeping everything combined as a unit.

I can sympathize with the philosophical reasoning behind the anti-"artsy fartsi" group, but all forms of woodturning should be included in what AAW strives to include. We do need to recognize, respect, and enjoy all lathe turning, as a whole.....while defining and recognizing the differences between the various formats.

-o-

Website
www.ovwg.org
If we consider the AAW "member's gallery", I'd say it consists of about 90% embellishment, as opposed to traditional turning. This is strictly an observation, and not meant as commentary, pro or con.....

https://www.aawforum.org/community/media/

-o-
I totally agree!!! So much is done off the lathe the "wood turning" part is kind of fading. I really don't embellish much because the way I was taught was solid skills on the lathe. No offense to anyone embellishing, just a interesting thought.... I also think that embellishing is anything that uses another tool, such as a carving or texturing tool. I would definitely consider pens, bottle stoppers, and segmenting to be close to true turning.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Oh, I think that's very true, Al.....

All I'm trying to do is define "embellishment", and how that relates to turning that is done on the lathe in a more traditional manner.

The segmented turnings, pens bottle stoppers, and etc., all belong within the realm of woodturning, but there should be a defining element for everything individually.....as well as keeping everything combined as a unit.

I can sympathize with the philosophical reasoning behind the anti-"artsy fartsi" group, but all forms of woodturning should be included in what AAW strives to include. We do need to recognize, respect, and enjoy all lathe turning, as a whole.....while defining and recognizing the differences between the various formats.

-o-
Agree!

If I turn a couple of beads on the outside of a bowl.......is that an embellishment?
Yes. So is staining painting carving fluting ands host of other things.
To my mind the difference is that you use the power of the lathe and a hand held cutting tool to make the bead cove or other shape. Turning in itself is a form of embellishment of flat work.

Interesting topic. We have one definition around work done on lathe vs work done not on lathe.

Then there is the "issue" about segmenting and pen turning where most of the work is done off the lathe.

Might it matter when the work is done off the lathe? Meaning if the work precedes the turning it is not embellishment, but if it occurs off the lathe (after turning) it is?

I see so many creative pieces in the monthly AAW Magazine where it gets to the point that one cannot tell it was actually turned.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I just watched an interview between Jerry Bennett and Betty Scarpino. In it, Betty mentioned that she sometimes gets comments on her work that "they're not woodturning, because they don't look turned" (here is a link to that section of the interview). Of course, she does a lot of carving etc after the piece is off the lathe. Betty mentioned that compared to a intricate Ray Allen segmented piece, she probably spent more time on the lathe. Even though the final pieces are vastly different, turning is integral to both. Maybe this is only tangentially related to this discussion, but it's still interesting to think about.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
To me this is one of those terms that defies any sort of universal definition for what we do. At a basic purist level, anything after the first chain saw cut could be considered embellishment (cutting around knots, figure, cracks, etc.) since you're using some human judgement to change the look of the wood as it came to you. I don't think any of us would consider it that way but it does create a need to try and define it for categories and contests as in the FL state fair example. My view would be beads, coves, a decorative foot, decorative rim, carvings, burning, inks, dyes, epoxy fills and the like would count as embellishments. But, is filling a knot hole with dark epoxy to hide it in a very simple basic shape bowl an embellishment? Hard to draw a line in the sand but to me it's anything beyond the simple functional shape but like noses, my opinion and everyone has one that's basically the same but a different.

The AAW has a big tent philosophy. There is a reason. If you believe the same way Florida does that the only thing to come from the lathe are vessels plates and spindles, you and they have a surprise coming. These pieces consist of
segmented layers each turned to specific dimensions, assembled, sanded and finished. No carving, no burning. No different than any other "certified" turning.
If you do come up with categories, I want my own. :cool:

The AAW got it right. A well executed vessel can easily stand up to anything. I like to think of the undiscovered possibilities the lathe has to offer.
How about the unreal work of Derick Wiedman? All turned and blows my mind!

13 TheDance3Web.jpg

Here is another. The keys are segmented and turned also. I did do a little reshaping of the the horn bell by sanding and added a scroll at the bottom.
late sm.jpg

Same here. I flattened out the neck and added a fretboard and a scroll at the bottom. All turned, assembled, sanded and finished.
6OpeningActWebCaption2 sm.jpg

My take is everything is “embellished” if that is how we want to describe it. The categories Al provided sums up most things and I would add “embellished” using only lathe turning tools. To me Oldie’s bowls are embellished with the detail he adds to the rim. How dull would it be if nothing was embellished. What would set us apart?
I agree with Sam, you either like the piece or don’t.

@Jerry Bennett Your work blows my mind!

It's all art, no debate. I agree that the AAW has cast a wide net for many reasons, and that's ok. However, to say as long as a lathe was used somehow, somewhere in the process makes it woodturning, ahhh no. A wood carver that likes to turn blanks into cylinders, and then carve a figurine etc, doesn't make a woodturner, it makes a carver. The skills and tools are completely different.

Had a discussion with a club member a few weeks ago along these lines. She has a degree in art. She is of the opinion that if it touched a lathe it is considered turned. Then she described how the painted art world strongly distinguishes between oil, watercolor, and pastel painting - "oh the materials and methods are totally different! They are never judged against one another". Oookayyy, but carving and turning are not totally different?

I like the differentiation of the FL state fair rules make, though IMO inlay should be included under "standard", from the perspective that the finished service is likely turned. I'm thinking of resin, clay, epoxy, etc as inlay, along with wood inlay - not sure of FL definition of inlay. There's no question in my mind segmenting and pens are turning - the final shape is completed on the lathe. Sanding or finishing off the lathe, that does not change the object's form, but only refines it, is still turning. Carving to change the form of the object (off the lathe) is carving, not turning - it reveals great carving skills, not turning skills. Piercing 80-90% of the surface away (leaving a skeletal structure) is turning - it requires some skill to turn the consistent thin wall thickness seen with those pieces.

It's all art, no debate. I agree that the AAW has cast a wide net for many reasons, and that's ok. However, to say as long as a lathe was used somehow, somewhere in the process makes it woodturning, ahhh no. A wood carver that likes to turn blanks into cylinders, and then carve a figurine etc, doesn't make a woodturner, it makes a carver. The skills and tools are completely different.

Had a discussion with a club member a few weeks ago along these lines. She has a degree in art. She is of the opinion that if it touched a lathe it is considered turned. Then she described how the painted art world strongly distinguishes between oil, watercolor, and pastel painting - "oh the materials and methods are totally different! They are never judged against one another". Oookayyy, but carving and turning are not totally different?

I like the differentiation of the FL state fair rules make, though IMO inlay should be included under "standard", from the perspective that the finished service is likely turned. I'm thinking of resin, clay, epoxy, etc as inlay, along with wood inlay - not sure of FL definition of inlay. There's no question in my mind segmenting and pens are turning - the final shape is completed on the lathe. Sanding or finishing off the lathe, that does not change the object's form, but only refines it, is still turning. Carving to change the form of the object (off the lathe) is carving, not turning - it reveals great carving skills, not turning skills. Piercing 80-90% of the surface away (leaving a skeletal structure) is turning - it requires some skill to turn the consistent thin wall thickness seen with those pieces.
You do make a point but is your ideal AAW community gallery one that is filtered by some acceptance process? Right now, who is judging who? Any juried event has explicit criteria for inclusion. I have been a juror for several AAW events as well as the fine art world. I am very familiar with all of it. The AAW is a learning organization. Anyone that participates does so with the understanding that we are sharing what we know and at the same time learning from others. For me, I want to see all of it. I do not want to miss anything. I can do my own filtering.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Carving to change the form of the object (off the lathe) is carving, not turning - it reveals great carving skills, not turning skills. Piercing 80-90% of the surface away (leaving a skeletal structure) is turning - it requires some skill to turn the consistent thin wall thickness seen with those pieces.
I don’t understand how you separate carving and piercing with your logic. You say that piercing itself requires turning skill. Carving a hollowform or bowl could require the same turning skills. Look at Dixie Biggs, Sammy Long, Mike Gibson, Andi Wolfe, Jacques Vesery, etc… The carving is great, but the overall piece is the most impactful. If their forms weren’t very well done (a turning skill), the carving would not have near the same effect. It’s not a vacuum, and turning/carving/piercing aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. If you make a great carving of a dumpy piece, your piece will be dumpier than a great carving of a great piece. The turning enhances the carving, and vice versa. Piercing is a skill separate from both, but is more related to carving.

All that said, a little bit of what I’m saying is just playing Devil’s advocate.

You do make a point but is your ideal AAW community gallery one that is filtered by some acceptance process? Right now, who is judging who? Any juried event has explicit criteria for inclusion. I have been a juror for several AAW events as well as the fine art world. I am very familiar with all of it. The AAW is a learning organization. Anyone that participates does so with the understanding that we are sharing what we know and at the same time learning from others. For me, I want to see all of it. I do not want to miss anything. I can do my own filtering.
No filtering of the gallery suggested. I am NOT familiar with juried contests nor explicit criteria for inclusion - much more info on this is greatly appreciated. I am not educated about the art world nor the actual practiced reality of it.

Primarily I see carving and turning as completely different skill sets, just as flat work and turning are different.

Currently the AAW appears to be anything goes at any time. I would prefer categorization of work, based on skill type - somewhat along the line as my example for painting - its all done with a brush, so why separate?

There can be an “open” anything goes category, but then other categories that are more specific. Lower level contests, such as the FL fair, separate bowls from hf’s, why? I dont know about high level contests, I’m pretty ignorant of the rules/reality practiced.

I don’t understand how you separate carving and piercing with your logic. You say that piercing itself requires turning skill. Carving a hollowform or bowl could require the same turning skills. Look at Dixie Biggs, Sammy Long, Mike Gibson, Andi Wolfe, Jacques Vesery, etc… The carving is great, but the overall piece is the most impactful. If their forms weren’t very well done (a turning skill), the carving would not have near the same effect. It’s not a vacuum, and turning/carving/piercing aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. If you make a great carving of a dumpy piece, your piece will be dumpier than a great carving of a great piece. The turning enhances the carving, and vice versa. Piercing is a skill separate from both, but is more related to carving.

All that said, a little bit of what I’m saying is just playing Devil’s advocate.
Appreciate the devil’s advocate aspect. I understand your confusion regarding piecing vs carving - let me continue. I dont carve, so I could be off base. It APPEARS to me that much of the carving does not require a great starting point, and a talented carver can make some corrections. Typically The carved pieces use a relatively simple turning as the “canvas”, as the carving is the “show”, with much or the original form carved away. This can affectively “hide” a mundane form and turning skill set.

On the other hand, piercing effectively increases the need for good form and control of wall thickness, elevating the turning skill requirement vs a “standard” piece.

My logical engineering mind is just trying to make sense of it all. I dont disagree that at the highest level combining skill sets shows great accomplishment and talent. I’m targeting more a notch or 2 down. What if I already struggle to develop turning skills, and now I need to develop carving skills, which I already tried and suck at (or don’t like)? If mundane turned items with average carving or pyrography (pick your non turning art form) art get the attention over excellently turned forms, the message is be avg at different things vs great at one.

Perhaps an analogy can be found in Olympic sports. The decathlete must be good at 10 different skills, yet would not win a gold or probably even place in the individual events. Thing is, the decathlete can get a medal in that event, and other specialized athletes can get a medal in the individual events.

Last edited:
Appreciate the devil’s advocate aspect. I understand your confusion regarding piecing vs carving - let me continue. I dont carve, so I could be off base. It APPEARS to me that much of the carving does not require a great starting point, and a talented carver can make some corrections. Typically The carved pieces use a relatively simple turning as the “canvas”, as the carving is the “show”, with much or the original form carved away. This can affectively “hide” a mundane form and turning skill set.

On the other hand, piercing effectively increases the need for good form and control of wall thickness, elevating the turning skill requirement vs a “standard” piece.

My logical engineering mind is just trying to make sense of it all. I dont disagree that at the highest level combining skill sets shows great accomplishment and talent. I’m targeting more a notch or 2 down. What if I already struggle to develop turning skills, and now I need to develop carving skills, which I already tried and suck at (or don’t like)? If mundane turned items with average carving or pyrography (pick your non turning art form) art get the attention over excellently turned forms, the message is be avg at different things vs great at one.

Perhaps an analogy can be found in Olympic sports. The decathlete must be good at 10 different skills, yet would not win a gold or probably even place in the individual events. Thing is, the decathlete can get a medal in that event, and other specialized athletes can get a medal in the individual events.
Doug, this not a competition.
We are here to learn from each other. and support one another in whatever direction we chose. The competition is outside those big doors where you put a piece on the table with a price tag on it and hope someone pulls out their wallet, or juried into some cool show.
I like to see this community as a welcoming, “safe” place where you can get a little positive interaction.

Doug, this not a competition.
We are here to learn from each other. and support one another in whatever direction we chose. The competition is outside those big doors where you put a piece on the table with a price tag on it and hope someone pulls out their wallet, or juried into some cool show.
I like to see this community as a welcoming, “safe” place where you can get a little positive interaction.
Jerry, I just need to say you do incredible work regardless of the methodology/skills.

“not a competition” - if you are referring to this forum, you are 99% (or whatever #) correct - there is the turning of the week or month or whatever, so there is some competitive aspect to the forum and gallery. Otherwise, I agree that this forum is a place to openly communicate thoughts, ideas, methods, opinions and sometimes there is disagreement - that doesn’t mean it isn’t “safe”. This comment catches me off guard, as I don’t deem any of my comments to have been disrespectful - perhaps challenging of accepted practice, which I consider appropriate.

Edit: Upon further thought, there is more "friendly" competition on the forum than we may want to admit. All the discussions on tenon or recess, best chuck, best bowl gouge, best sharpening system, etc are all thought, idea, opinion, and fact competitions. All very unofficial, no awards given, but competition nonetheless.

Most of my comments were toward judging/competition of turned art, not whether the forum is a competition. They all pertain to the original “embellishment” point. Sorry to have offended you, though I don’t know what did. Perhaps you are thinking I want to limit “things” at the highest level - not my intent, as I have stated.

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
It APPEARS to me that much of the carving does not require a great starting point, and a talented carver can make some corrections. Typically The carved pieces use a relatively simple turning as the “canvas”, as the carving is the “show”, with much or the original form carved away. This can affectively “hide” a mundane form and turning skill set.

You’re right in that carving can be used to hide a poor form, for sure. But that poor form would likely come through in the end (or would require a ton of sanding to mitigate). I agree with you that if a sculptor, for example, only used the lathe to round the blank, then the carving is, for sure the most prominent skill and the turning is negligible. That said, the lathe will get them in the round much more accurately and quickly than by hand/eye. Carving at the top levels still require even thickness, good form, and generally exceptional turning. If the goal is to be two notches down, well…that’s not a good enough goal. :p

I would still argue that piercing is a completely separate skill than turning. There is absolutely no need for the lathe if you want to pierce. Just use an angle grinder or burrs to thin the wall as needed. (I’m just being very black and white, and of course recognize the fact that thin, even wall thickness will make piercing easier or even possible). But, I can turn the absolute best thin hollowform and still mess it up when I go to pierce. Different skill set (for the sake of my point).

What if I already struggle to develop turning skills, and now I need to develop carving skills, which I already tried and suck at (or don’t like)? If mundane turned items with average carving or pyrography (pick your non turning art form) art get the attention over excellently turned forms, the message is be avg at different things vs great at one.
That a good and relevant point. I suppose it’s up to the individual though. Form trumps all, for sure, and if you’re starting with a turned form it better be spectacular. I think we agree on that. To some degree, excellent carving might make up for poor form, but those in the know will likely recognize that. Now, the general public, who knows.

I will also say that it is probably incredible difficult these days to make a name for yourself if you’re just turning (without other skills involved, and with some exceptions of course). I know this is part of the point you’re making. A ton of folks turn really well. Fewer folks turn AND carve really well. Even fewer turn, carve, and woodburn well. Even fewer turn, carve, woodburn, and paint really well. And so forth. It’s probably unlikely that someone will be a master at all of these skills without much much concerted effort. But, if you’re just average at one or the other, you better hope the other skills are good enough to compensate.

These are all different skillsets, for sure. And they don’t transfer easily, I agree. And IF there is a traditional woodturning completion somewhere, it might not be fair to put a basic turned bowl against an embellished bowl. But for most shows where you’re going for “people’s choice”, “best in show”, or even to jury into a more prestigious show, then it might be near impossible to do so without multiple skillsets. (And again, I know this close to the point you’re making).

Jerry, I just need to say you do incredible work regardless of the methodology/skills.

“not a competition” - if you are referring to this forum, you are 99% (or whatever #) correct - there is the turning of the week or month or whatever, so there is some competitive aspect to the forum and gallery. Otherwise, I agree that this forum is a place to openly communicate thoughts, ideas, methods, opinions and sometimes there is disagreement - that doesn’t mean it isn’t “safe”. This comment catches me off guard, as I don’t deem any of my comments to have been disrespectful - perhaps challenging of accepted practice, which I consider appropriate.

Edit: Upon further thought, there is more "friendly" competition on the forum than we may want to admit. All the discussions on tenon or recess, best chuck, best bowl gouge, best sharpening system, etc are all thought, idea, opinion, and fact competitions. All very unofficial, no awards given, but competition nonetheless.

Most of my comments were toward judging/competition of turned art, not whether the forum is a competition. They all pertain to the original “embellishment” point. Sorry to have offended you, though I don’t know what did. Perhaps you are thinking I want to limit “things” at the highest level - not my intent, as I have stated.
Doug, I certainly am not offended. Quite the contrary. A little debate is healthy. What I meant by “safe” is, we are free to express opinions, methods and show works we are working on. I perhaps reacted too strong as over the years, there have been a few attempts to exclude embellished works from the AAW. In competition, it is necessary to categorize works.
jerry

I think it’s great to have these types of in-depth discussions. Helps keep the mind sharp!

@Jerry Bennett perhaps has the best culminating commentary on the subject:
The competition is outside those big doors where you put a piece on the table with a price tag on it and hope someone pulls out their wallet, or juried into some cool show.
The sale and the show are not mutually exclusive, as the provenance of the artist or piece can play a huge role in a sale. Down a different rabbit hole, art sales have always confused me, seemingly defying all logic (in general not just turnings).

@Michael Anderson we may continue to disagree on carved pieces - the debate requires detailed discussion of examples to be relevant I think. There are a couple of accomplished carvers (beginner turners) in my local club that I plan to have further discussions with. If we happen to meet at an event it would be an interesting discussion.

Piercing - I’m not as “wedded” to my opinion on this one. For both carved and pierced, my opinion (as I have no real experience) is based on my perception of the process (40 yrs experience in mfg process design and implementation). I readily except that reality and perception can be very different. Seems our major point of difference is “how important is the turned form to the finished piece” in both cases. I perceive a piercing requiring a better turned “canvas”. Both require some damn good “free hand” skills that I don’t currently possess.

Referencing @odie ’s original point, on vs off lathe embellishing (surface treatments do not alter form, so my perspective fall under “on lathe”). From a competitive standpoint, if the work is claimed turned, its seems some % of the work surface must remain “turned” (surface prep/finishing allowed). Yeah, I know, it gets into minutia.

Just a monkey wrench to throw into the carving verses turning controversy:
In the 1990's when I was Pres ot the MWA we were contacted by the MWG (MN woodworkers guild) to join in the "Northern Woods Show" as a powered carving category IE the lathe is turning the piece of wood as you carve it into a form.

Just a monkey wrench to throw into the carving verses turning controversy:
In the 1990's when I was Pres ot the MWA we were contacted by the MWG (MN woodworkers guild) to join in the "Northern Woods Show" as a powered carving category IE the lathe is turning the piece of wood as you carve it into a form.
DSC01575.JPG
This is one of the awards I won for a similar turning to the one shown.

odie

TOTW Team
Referencing @odie ’s original point, on vs off lathe embellishing (surface treatments do not alter form, so my perspective fall under “on lathe”). From a competitive standpoint, if the work is claimed turned, its seems some % of the work surface must remain “turned” (surface prep/finishing allowed). Yeah, I know, it gets into minutia.

Can't really remember where I saw the discussion, but at one time I remember someone commenting on a piece of furniture being entered into a turning competition......the drawer pulls were turned! :)

-o-

Everything evolves including woodturning and embellishment.

Jerry Bennett started his woodturning journey making pens. How fabulous are his above posted pieces!!

A mind is something that should be unleashed, not contained by this or that. Many of us are unleashed and continue to make more ordinary vessels; we are satisfied and at peace. We create boundaries/ boxes that harness our creativity. If the sides of the box are tall enough, you never see outside of your box! For some, there is comfort in your box, for others…….

Every once in a while, someone comes along and explodes on the scene ala Jerry Bennett!! All thats required from the rest of us is appreciation and enjoyment of his work. If you are lucky, you gain inspiration!

When you wonder “how’d he do that”, your own juices are actually starting to flow; let that happen, find out the techniques, this will lead to your own evolution!! For me, climbing out of my box is refreshing and exciting; thank you Jerry Bennett!

Percentage of time on the lathe or adding embellishing techniques are secondary to unleashing your creativity….splitting hairs! Thank you AAW for the broad, ever expanding definition of woodturning!!

odie

TOTW Team
Everything evolves including woodturning and embellishment.

Jerry Bennett started his woodturning journey making pens. How fabulous are his above posted pieces!!

A mind is something that should be unleashed, not contained by this or that. Many of us are unleashed and continue to make more ordinary vessels; we are satisfied and at peace. We create boundaries/ boxes that harness our creativity. If the sides of the box are tall enough, you never see outside of your box! For some, there is comfort in your box, for others…….

Every once in a while, someone comes along and explodes on the scene ala Jerry Bennett!! All thats required from the rest of us is appreciation and enjoyment of his work. If you are lucky, you gain inspiration!

When you wonder “how’d he do that”, your own juices are actually starting to flow; let that happen, find out the techniques, this will lead to your own evolution!! For me, climbing out of my box is refreshing and exciting; thank you Jerry Bennett!

Percentage of time on the lathe or adding embellishing techniques are secondary to unleashing your creativity….splitting hairs! Thank you AAW for the broad, ever expanding definition of woodturning!!

Great post here, Russ! :)

Does this mean we can't define and categorize what is accomplished on the lathe, as opposed to what is accomplished off the lathe? .....and, the entirety of the visual impact of these two things as an whole piece of artwork?

To my thinking, there is no question that the lathe work, AND the embellishments, BOTH require a great deal of skill to accomplish extraordinarily well.......however, mediocre lathe skills can be camouflaged by great skill in creating the embellishments. This is not to diminish the achievement of creating a great piece of art, but the opposite is not true. ie: The visual impact of a great turning is ALWAYS decreased when the embellishment isn't as good as it could be......hmmmmm!

-o-

Back