• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Axiom Stratus Air Cleaner AS300

These are brand new to me. Has anyone used one? I would most likely use it close to my sanding and embellishment work area to capture the dust and fumes as close to the source as possible.

That's a good point, but most any machine that cleans air in any volume is going to be loud. Probably will need to use hearing protection, whatever solution you find to capture dust.

My experience is that, while an air cleaner is a great supplement for collecting dust, especially if it has a HEPA filter, the air cleaner alone is not generally enough. My guess would be that, without a HEPA dust collector (cyclone or not) sucking the dust through a hood mounted on the lathe (or near on a stand), any air cleaner would need constant maintenance to keep the filter clean. I have a cyclone connected to a hood on my lathe and, based on observation, I can see that vast majority of finer dust sucked into the hood. If all that dust was filtered through an air cleaner, the filter in that air cleaner would be full in a very short time. My air cleaners need maintenance, but my cyclone takes most of the chips and dust right at the source. In the end, I have always believed that air cleaners are a great add-on to a dust collection, but not the solution in and of themselves. So, particular air cleaner seems like a good one but it's no better than other air cleaners if it's the only dust collection method used.

This is my "cheap" version of an air cleaner. The flag in front of the fan indicates outward air movement. The paper sucked against the right side indicates there is "suction". The total filter area is 9 sq. ft. Frame work is from scrap/leftover material. Total cost about $100.00

Attachments

• 20220602_121826.jpg
    20220602_121826.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 20
Back