• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bald Cypress

I pruned my bald cypress tree a little bit today and saved the limbs.

My thought is I'll use it for small turnings like snowmen or similar.

Since I've made this mistake before about saving wood that turns out useless I thought I'd ask about what to expect. I looked at that wood data base page but that really doesn't do me any good when you really don't know what you're reading.

So.. I left them 4-5 feet long 2"-4" diameter. Should I let it dry first like that or start turning my army of snowmen now? Am I wasting my time and I'll just be making smaller kindling? Throw it away now?

There's another project on my lathe at the moment so I didn't want to turn a trial piece of cypress.

Never turned cypress limbs, but did a couple bowls out of some 4" thick drops that I was given. The wood turns easily and cleanly with sharp tools. My drops were bone dry, so I cannot comment on movement and drying.

As always, protect the cut ends and try a couple green, let the dry and see what happens.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
4 inches, you want to let it dry with bark on? Probably 15 to 20 years before it's really dry, judging by the one piece of 4" diameter Maple limb that a neighbor had stashed in the rafters of his barn for over 20 years, after cutting about 10 inches of the ends off to get to unchecked wood, (he wanted me to turn him some candle holders) there was still enough moisture at the middle to give a 13% MC reading compared to 10% at the ends.... (same Meter same day readings.) So if you want it to dry first you either have to slice out the pith and then wait a year or two, or you'd need to plan on cutting off considerable end length and a very long drying period... or what I'd do is turn it green , and try to create projects that may remove most of the pith (or turn it away in the case of goblets, etc) - I'd probably leave the whole branch sit as-is (maybe paint or end seal the ends) and only cut off sections when I have a project I'd be turning right away... trying to minimize the amount I'd have to discard from end checking.

Brian,
Cypress is quite common down here in Mississippi. I have turned quite a bit of it. It turns similar to pine. I would cut it up into 6 inch lengths (or whatever length you want), dry it in your microwave, and turn it dry. Green cypress has a tendency to get fuzzy when turned and seems more prone to tear out than dry. it Is also difficult to get a good finish on green cypress. Here are some pics of a few of my cypress turnings.
Jon

Attachments

• IMG_0409.jpeg
    IMG_0409.jpeg
    645 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0368.jpeg
    IMG_0368.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    578 KB · Views: 14
Back