• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Baldor Grinder Modification

I have a Baldor grinder and the Wolverine sharpening jig. I cannot use the Wolverine’s flat plate attachment because it hits the front of the grinder guard, preventing me from moving it close enough to the wheel. I’m thinking of cutting away the front of the guard where the red line is. Anyone see any issues with this?
Worst case I could just attach the platform that came with the grinder but I’d rather not have togo back and forth.
IMG_8216.jpeg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have removed some cast iron using the abrasive wheels in angle grinders and a dremel to get inside a tailstock.

You will want to soften the cut edge which can slice body parts.

You could also cut a slot in the front. Just an option not a recommendation.

I did bob the noses on one of my Baldor grinders, not sure if I did it on the other one. Yes, you can remove the outside wheel guard, but you can't remove the inside one since it is the dust shield for the inside of the grinder. It is sealed for a reason.

robo hippy

IMG_0769.jpg
This is what I did with mine when I first got the wolverine jig but then I got a grinder with the CBN wheels and kept the Baldor for other purposes using the regular wheels. The The threaded holes are visible for mounting the Wolverine.

I wouldn't cut it. There is a strong demand for these grinders and the more complete they are, the more they fetch.

I removed the guards entirely on my Baldor.

IMG_2528.jpg

"Worst case I could just attach the platform that came with the grinder but I’d rather not have togo back and forth."

You can always put on a couple of Kipp handles instead of bolts. Just loosen the handles and let the arm and platform swing down out of the way. That's what I do.
The bottom two shots illustrate the Kipp handles on an 8" grinder.
The top shows a bobbed inside guard. Because this is a 7" grinder, it wasn't really necessary.

kipp 2 - 1.jpg

kipp - 1.jpg

kipp - 2.jpg

Back