• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bandsaw Selection for Woodturners

I have recently acquired a purchase order from the warden for a band saw. I convinced her that this would be THE LAST BIG TOOL I WILL NEED, EVER.. (similar tactics were effective for the lathe, tablesaw, and router table). I want to tap in to the vast expertise on this board to see what special requirements are needed on a bandaw for woodturners. My lathe (currently) is a Jet 1236, so I am not doing huge bowls and stuff, but SOMEDAY, I'll get a big boy lathe.

DUCK, flak may be coming!

Matt, I have owned and used a 14", HF bandsaw, with 6" riser block, for 3.5 years. During that time I have had zero problems. My total inventment, including 4 Olson bands, is under $300.00. Would I buy another HF bandsaw--youbechya.

The prices have gone up now but what I have will set you back less than $400.00.

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
LeNeave Bandsaws

I bought a big bandsaw last year and reported on that milestone on the previous form of this forum. I got the 21" NorthState saw from LeNeave in Charlotte, NC. I have been pleased in every aspect of that purchase and would still buy that exact saw again from them. They are good people. The cost was around $1100. Here is the URL for that saw. LeNeave bandsaw Their number is 800-442-2302. I'll bet they will give you a deal if you tell them that Ed Moore recommended them. :D
I just found my notes. The 19" saw was $875. The $1100 for the 21" saw I mentioned above included a heavy duty mobile base and two extra blades and a 3HP motor. I was told that the saw was made for LeNeave in Taiwan, not China. Shipping was surprisingly cheap.

It is my personal opinion that this saw is as good as the Laguna or Mini-Max. With a 3 HP motor it has never slowed on anything I have run through it. With a good dust collector hooked up to the two ports it is almost dust-free. I recommend a 3/8" blade because you want a turning radius that isn't too big.

Recently I was in Woodcraft and saw their new line of larger bandsaws, Rikon, I believe. It looked like an excellent choice at a reasonable price.

Desirable features:
a) Tension release lever
b) 12" cutting height
c) 2 HP or more
d) Good blade guides
e) Good blades

I got the Grizzly G0555 14" bandsaw with 6"riser block it gives you a 12" deep cut.
Im verry happy with my purchace the best bang for the buck IMO.
I have cut over 100 bowl blanks with it in the last 3 months and no prob.
Jim

Attachments

• bandsaw1.jpg
    bandsaw1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,320
bandsaw budget

$500-$850 range

I also have the Grizzly G0555 with riser. I think it is the best value out there. I haven't had any problems with it.

grizzly G0555 cost?

What did the Grizzly G0555 with the riser cost?

DW

Last year I purchased the Powermetic 14 inch bandsaw and added the 6 inch riser block. It's been a great addition to the shop.

Things I like:
Quiet & Smooth
Easy to tune and adjust
4 inch dust collection port
Good quality adjustable/locking fence
Carter blade tensioning system
Integrated dust blower (air stream from motor)
Integrated work light
Closed base

Things I would improve:
Widen the base to give a more stability
Included mitre gauge leaves room for improvement

Last edited:
If budget is major issue, I'm with the folks who get a Grizzly, HF, or Reliant 14" and a riser. Three things complete this as an excellent resaw and milling setup. First, get a 2hp motor and change it out. The extra oomph is nice to have for really thick, green wood. Second, build a table extention from thick plywood. Not to tough to make one that has wrap around edges and a wood or metal strip that matches the groove on the saw table, so that the whole assembledge slides on and off easilly (slide on into the blade so that you won't push it off while cutting). Third, get some Timberwolf blades. Last longer and cut great, so will make life much easier when milling.

One thing to know. If you plan to ever do any real detail work, this is not a great setup. Even with care, you'll have a hard time getting all guides to line up cleanly or getting the blade to tension properly for the fine stuff. It can be done but it is a real PITA as these saws just aren't made with fine tollerances. This is a milling and resaw setup on the cheap and you get what you pay for.

Dietrich

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I would first say that it may not be the last you will ever buy. If you get a bigger lathe, you will want a bigger saw.

Within that budget, take a look at the Jet, Delta and Grizzly 14" saws with a riser block.
I would echo the previous comments on HP, and blade selection. In addition (I may have missed this in the previous postings) take a look at how smoothly the blade guard goes up and down as well as what material they use for blade guides.

There have been several "bake offs" in the wood magazines lately, take a look at those.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I couldn't afford a new Delta14 with riser and that was what everyone recommended so I waited until I got a used one. I'm glad I did. It's solid and accurate. I paid $600 for it. I think they are around $900 new. I looked at Grizzly and that was one choice. The Jet 14 with riser is also a good buy.

john lucas said:
I couldn't afford a new Delta14 with riser and that was what everyone recommended so I waited until I got a used one. I'm glad I did. It's solid and accurate. I paid $600 for it. I think they are around $900 new. I looked at Grizzly and that was one choice. The Jet 14 with riser is also a good buy.

I have the Jet 14 WBS-14CS with riser blocks. Its a very good bandsaw. It won't be my last (ahhh... the Laguna 18 :) ), but for what I paid, I'm very happy with the Jet.

I've upgraded the original guides to a knock-off version of the Iturra Bandrollers which have been a big improvement for me when resawing. A few of these knock-offs still seem to be availiable on ebay at the moment. For the cost, I recommend the modification.

I haven't made the leap to Carters yet but I've heard good things and am considering it. Appologies for the slight detour, but anyone running 14" bandsaw with Carter guides?

btw - If cost is a serious issue, Grizzly has a sale on their G1019 14" bandsaw at the moment for $285. Thats a great price on a good bandsaw.

I suggest not forgetting about factoring in the costs of blades in the purchace. Don't blow everything on the saw and then skimp on the blades. For the money, I recomend the Timberwolf blades.

Hope this helps,

--eric

Last edited:
Matt,

I went throught the bandsaw chosing (upgrading) oddesy not long ago.

I had the Griz 1019Z w/riser, which is the predecessor to the G0555. It was a good saw, but if you are looking for the long term, I might suggest getting into the 17" BS category. There is a world of difference when you get up into that size saw. This would be pushing the top of your budget.

The best bang for the buck in that range is the Griz 5013 (I have that one). It is an excellent saw. My first choice was the Bridgewood 17" but it was backordered too long.

Of course, if you rob a bank, the MiniMax MM16 is THE bandsaw to have.

I have had the HF 14" with riser block and original motor for about two years and it still cuts anything I can push through it. I have only ever used 3/8" furniture band blades, 3tpi. But all I ask it to do is make big lumps of wood into approximately round lumps without requiring a major investment. If you want to do other things - resaw your own veneers, make bandsawn boxes - this saw doesn't have the accuracy you need.

And when I upgraded to my "last" lathe, I had decided that the Nova 3000 DVR had as much capacity as I would ever want - and the HF bandsaw is still big enough to handle stuff that size.

Graeme

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
2nd the furniture band blades

Agree these blades are the best for green wood, have cut maple blanks, the max limit (12") on my saw. the blades are 0.032 thick with extra deep gullets for cleaning out the long strings from ripping the wood.

I also have the Grizzly G0555 with riser block, an Iturra spring, and a variety of Timberwolf blades for it, and it has taken good care of ALL my woodworking chores. It's a good saw that will allow some growth and comfort with the saw, but if your entertaining the "last purchase of your turning or woodworking career", you'll need about $1,500.

By the way, Jim, posting a pic of a tool, particularly in teh shop of a turner, that happens to be THAT CLEAN is highly suspect. :cool2:

Something to try on your Delta, Jet, etc. 14" bandsaws are the new ceramic blade guides. There are made like the guides that come with the saw and like "Cool Blocks". I got mine from Klingspor - around $15. I had Cool Blocks before but had to grind them flat on occassion and they eventually wore out. I think they really help in getting a straight cut as I can put them closer to the blade and they do not seem to wear out.

Question - I have a 1/2 hp motor on my old Delta saw. Has anyone out there changed out the motor. Maybe moved the motor from the side of the saw to down below the saw? My saw has the open table that the saw sits on. Did you make a new closed in table. What about the pulley? I was thinking of putting a new 1 1/2 hp Baldor motor on the saw for more power. The other option is to purchase a new Laguna bandsaw. Any ideas as to if it would be better to fix up the old Delta saw or purchase a larger 4.5hp Laguna saw?
Hugh

Back