• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Best Deal for Ca Glue?

Where is the best place to purchase CA glue at a good price? Any way to buy in bulk to get lower prices? Thanks.

Website
www.TurnTex.com
You can buy direct from EZ Bond with a minimum $125 order. You do not have to have a business account or anything. As long as you meet the minimum, they will sell to anyone. The prices buying direct from them is better than any of the bulk buy programs but $125 will buy you a LOT of CA!

I have 4 people around here that use it in their work so I put together an order every 4 months or so and we all stock up. Go to http://www.e-zbond.com/ and send them an e-mail to get their price list and ordering information.

Super Super Glue

My club, The Bayou Woodturners have purchased over $1000 of CA from CPH International in California.
For example: very thin, medium thin, medium, medium thick and thick sell for $5.00 a 2 ounce container. or $30.00 for a 16 ounce.
They also have new flexible, gap fillers, non-odor, accellerator, debonder, bottles, sprayers and everything else you may need.
starbondglue@yahoo.com or www.starbond.com Ask for Paul, he's a world of help.
Our club marks it up a few $$$ and we sell the stuff like crazy.

Website
cnew.org
The best place for buying good quality glue at a low price is definitely!! Starbond aka CPH International. Paul Hyun sells the glue. His is a better grade than EZ Bond which are the lower cost and quality.

CA "allergy"

I get repiratory problems if I use the stuff without holding by breath or placing in another room. :mad:
I called Starbond 2 days ago to get a free sample of the odorless. Does anyone know if this helps? It is about 2x as expensive and only comes in the ultra thin (I get into trouble more when I have to work with it with filling voids using the thicker stuff, etc. Gretch

Jeff Jilg said:
In general C.A. should be used with adequate ventilation. Any fumes you breathe will coat your lungs with uncured C.A. when then cures on the surface of your lungs.
Jeff-what does adaquate ventilation mean? Fan, Ventilation hood as in chemistry, etc labs, stove exhaust fan, outside, personal hood??? Need some practical guidance, Gretch

Website
www.zionfire.com
Jeff Jilg said:
In general C.A. should be used with adequate ventilation. Any fumes you breathe will coat your lungs with uncured C.A. when then cures on the surface of your lungs.
Not to doubt you, Jeff, but do you have some sort of documentation for this claim of coating the lungs??

The fumes, as I understand it, are NOT glue, but are the carrier, much as lacquer thinner is the carrier for the solids that create a skin over the project. One source (http://www.rccaraction.com/MA/onlinearticles/abc.asp) indicates that CA is non-toxic and that because of the way CA reacts with moisture, it will never (hate that word) "enter internal body systems". Several other sources do indicate that the fumes can indeed be irritating, severely irritating, or that extended or repeated exposure to the fumes can produce "chronic allergenic reactions".

And of course, there are several different types of CA. The one we use, however, is the one that's reported on in all of the above citations.

I'm certainly not an expert, but some time spent on Google & Ask.com didn't seem to support the coated lungs thing.

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Dean, I am also no expert on this stuff, but my common sense tells me that if something "hurts" you, it's not good for you. Personally, I hate the stuff. The potential damage to my lungs scares me and I avoid using it as much as possible. IMHO, CA is one of the most overlooked dangers in the shop.

Neither am I a chemist or medical expert but I have been using CA glue by the pints and quarts for the last few years and if at all possible, I coat turnings with the glue outdoors because of the fumes. Harmful or not, as previously comments indicate, common sense requires safety first. :cool2:

Website
www.woodturner.org
C.A. glue is used to fume latent fingerprints. It's not just the solvent in the surrounding air, some of it is C.A. And some of that C.A. adheres to the fingerprint. Here is a company which sells C.A. to that market listed here

Here are two good links to MSDS sheets:
MSDS data
MSDS data2

I can find no direct references to C.A. vapors being inhaled and adhering to lung tissue. But if it can stick to fingerprints it seems to me it can stick to lung tissue. I prefer to not experiment with my lungs. Good ventilation to carry away the fumes will always occur in my shop (strong fan, dust collector, etc). I don't use C.A. that much anyhow.

It's the oil in the print that counts, same as always. You normally heat the CA to get maximum fume production prior to degradation. Heat it too hot and you start evolving HCN. http://onin.com/fp/cyanoho.html

It certainly can irritate the mucosa, but it's at about the same level of lethality as the HCN produced by cherry left outside in the sun. Don't stick your nose too close, and the dilution will take care of it for you. Remaining standing while the glue cures at waist level is enough.

Back