• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Best Way to Cut This?

I like figured wood and purposely cut this piece to include a good size branch coming into the side. The dimensions are 28"l x 18"w x 8.5"d.

20231006_144742.jpg

I have done bowls with branches coming into the side wall and had success, also some failures. I can use the piece to the left and leave that out of the big blank and use it in something smaller.
What would you do?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
What would you do?
First I would turn it over and see if the branch comes out the other side.
I’d also check for solid wood. It appears a bit punky but that may just be the photo.

Knots are ok in bowls but they usually distract from the grain.
I would look for a knot free blank.

Because the log appears to have a flat side, I would consider a bowl with the rim to the bark.
When these are once turned the rim gets a wavy look that I find more appealing than the endgrain peaks of bowls with the rim to center.

IMG_0547.jpeg

First I would turn it over and see if the branch comes out the other side.
I’d also check for solid wood. It appears a bit punky but that may just be the photo.
The branch does not come out the other side.
The wood is spalted,but still very solid. I believe it is Pecan.
Both sides are flat. Was going to twice turn.
Going to take your advice and use the clean section for a big bowl and cut up the knot side into multiple blanks.
Going to core the large blank, knot is probably a bad idea anyway for that operation.
Thanks!

Back