• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beyond the Basic Dish?

All right, I was suffering from turning withdrawl, having been occupied with gardening and the woodpile. But, it's raining, so I thought I'd clean up a bit in the shop. What to do with cutoffs from some shelves? Make plates for Christmas cookies, of course. Then the idea dawns, a quick sketch and turn, and this emerges. Almost makes me wish I'd spent more time on it, especially the symmetry part. Think I'll hit the clipart library and make a proper template, cut with the scrollsaw rather than the bandsaw, and pay better attention.

Follow-on ideas already suggest themselves. Simplest would be some contrasting plugs as "ornaments," though a star-on-star shape with the ornamental circles is also a possibility. So have a go at it, I think it's neat.

Attachments

• Front-Tree.jpg
    Front-Tree.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 266
  • Profile-Tree.jpg
    Profile-Tree.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Back-Tree.jpg
    Back-Tree.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 261
I like it! The notion of complementary plugs in the wood as ornaments would be neat also.

Did you cut the pattern before or after turning?

Started out with a bandmill 4/4, barely an inch, and cupped almost an eighth in drying. Couple of big ugly knots underneath this piece were the reason for trimming the end. I popped a picture of this afternoon's amusement with that that I'll post below. I'm a better turner than scroller, so I cut the flat piece out and turned it like any interrupted edge piece.

I guess it must be a good idea, because SWMBO likes it!!!! I'll probably do a maple/cherry/walnut decorated variety if it rains tomorrow. Got some WMF clipart to play with for shape. I'll do it the way I do the hearts for Valentine's day, printing the shape, sticking to the piece, and cutting out before turning. Probably use the scrollsaw for that to minimize edge sanding, because the 3TPI bandsaw blade makes a lousy edge. Fatter tree, I think, so we can use it for cookies. This would have to be hard candy and cellophane.

Thought occurs that it might be best if the ornaments didn't run all the way through, which means some careful boring to depth. Have to figure about a quarter inch thick to allow for error. Candy dish came out all right, too. Just oiled, waiting for finish. Knots are not ugly.

Attachments

• Waste-Board-Bowl.jpg
    Waste-Board-Bowl.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 425
Back