• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Black Gum (Black Tupelo)

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
I just came by a truckload of this wood - pieces up to 16 inches in diameter.

Is this good turning wood or should I burn it in the fireplace?

Last edited:
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
John:

Unfortunately I've had no personal experience turning black gum tupleo (Nyssa sylvatica), but do know that water tupelo (Nyssa aquatica) is one of the preferred woods for power carving birds and other things that need to hold detail quite well. As many others do, I referenced the ultimate source of all knowledge, Wikipedia ( ;) ), for Nyssa sylvatica HERE, and for characteristics of its wood, the following was found:

Wood: Pale yellow, sapwood white; heavy, strong, very tough, hard to split, not durable in contact with the soil. Used for turnery. Sp. gr., 0.6353; weight of cu. ft., 39.59.

I have seen a few very nice turnings done out of tupelo, but don't know if they were from N. sylvatica or N. aquatica.

I don't know anything about their turning characteristics, but would be willing to do extensive research on the topic if you send me a few blanks..... :D

Turn it anyway - seems the price is right!

Rob

Website
www.californiawoodartist.com
John:

There's a sculptor out here who orders tupelo from a Florida swamp and uses it for its creamy white smoothness and large sizes. He often dyes his pieces.

I have also seen crown moulding machined out of gum which may be your variety. It was as smooth as maple and lighter weight with a tan color and some interesting brown streaking very similar to poplar. I would say that the density was between maple and poplar.

Your wood will be a perfect fit for that yet to be discovered idea.

Best regards,

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Thanxs

I musta missed that on Wiki - I did look it up before posting. :)

Gonna havta get some of that honey.

I processed some today - very stringy and wet when chainsawing.

Will rough out some this weekend once I get it slabbed and trimmed and see how it cuts.

I'll burn the scraps this winter to heat the green house - I can go through a good bit of wood keeping the orchids warm, even in Houston.

John if yer makin a mailin list to send some to yer friends:D I'd be more than happy to send ya my address.:D

Oh yeah

I think it turns better in South Florida, you may need to bring it here to turn it.
I think it has to do with the whole peninsular thing and never reaching 32 degrees on the beach.
My address is in the directory :D:D:

Back