• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bloodwood for Utensils

Is bloodwood a good choice for utensils (e.g., cutting boards, honey dippers, bowls, etc.) ? How about ipe? The ipe I got from my wood guy is really hard and the dust is yellow. Anyone know this type?

Thanks

I've never used bloodwood for utensils but I have turned a few pieces for decoration and I'll tell you this much... One of only two unprovoked nosebleeds I've ever had in my life was after a night of turning bloodwood. I reacted severely to the dust and now always use a respirator and dust collector.

Personally, I would not consider bloodwood for use in a food service item.

For what it's worth, the other nosebleed was after an evening of turning purpleheart. Exotic hardwoods and I just don't get along.

P.S. When and where were you with the 11th ACR? Fulda by chance?

Sky

I've turned some ipe or epe or ?. The stuff is supposed to last outside in the elements forever. Down here in South Florida ( only 80 Degrees today :cool2: ) it is being used for decks alot lately. I have a piece that was part of a boat dock for 60 years I was told. It is still looks great. Hard with no rot or soft spots at all. We've turned a few tool handles also for turning and gardening. Has a nice feel to it. I think it would make good pieces like you described. But definitely wear dust protection while turning.

Thanks, guys.

I've turned bloodwood for segmented bowls with no irritation, but many folks are allergic to at least one kind of wood.

Chaley, I was with the 11th ACR at Ft. Meade and in Vietnam, 1965-1967.

Back