• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bottle cap

Some people have a hard time opening small cap things like a pop bottle is there an attachment that could be put on a wood turned handle for helping out opening bottles Thanks

Absolutely. A few sources would be Craft Supplies USA or Penn State Industries, and almost any other woodturning supplier. I like the unique stainless steel from Ruth Niles Stoppers--different, heavy and stands on its own.
earl

Thanks for trying to help but you miss read it
I want to turn a handle and put an attachment on to open a plastic pop bottle like this one in the pic

Attachments

• IMG_7234.jpeg
    IMG_7234.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for trying to help but you miss read it
I want to turn a handle and put an attachment on to open a plastic pop bottle like this one in the pic
No I didn't miss-read, I knew what you were wanting but I didn't see anything online like the one you posted. You could certainly turn that, it wouldn't be too hard and a fun multi-access turn. You could texture the inside of the opener with sandpaper or carve little triangles to help with the grip. Just know that you will only be able to open one size of lid with that design.

No I didn't miss-read, I knew what you were wanting but I didn't see anything online like the one you posted. You could certainly turn that, it wouldn't be too hard and a fun multi-access turn. You could texture the inside of the opener with sandpaper or carve little triangles to help with the grip. Just know that you will only be able to open one size of lid with that design.
To difficult all I am asking has anyone seen an attachment not how can I make that part
No I don’t want multi size I’m not opening a pickle jar and a bottle of pop in my car
Only want to know if anyone seen an attachment I can buy that’s all.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Only want to know if anyone seen an attachment I can buy that’s all.

I haven’t seen those except in the plastic versions.
One came on my lawnmower as key chain - has the dealer name and phone number
Mine fits some water bottles too small for Gatorade.

I thought of a couple of options. Quick and dirty - glue a plastic in piece of wood a turn a handle.
Might work well to turn something that would fit the palm.

Difficult is making the little groves in a turned recess. If you tapered the recess it would fit a range of different cap sizes.

If you do any pewter work. The plastic pieces would be easy to cast in pewter using the plastic to create a mold.
Casting sand should work. Or you can make molds with Bondo spray the cap with Pam so it releases from the set up bondo
Pewter melts at 450 or so you can melt it in a can with a torch. Rule #1 hot metal looks like cold metal it hurts to be wrong.

I think if you could glue something like abranet inside a recess that should work

A quick search didn't turn up; a kit, but it might not be too difficult to make one. I think I'll try a small piece of SS that will spread 2 handles that l will just groove with a wrasp. This won't require the strength of a nut cracker; just enough to grip the bottle cap. I'll pin the handles with small nut & bolt or just wood dowel. If l get motivated soon, I'll post a picture.

Recommend a variation on a “strap wrench”. I use one (purchased) to open tight screw on lids. Could handle a large variation in cap sizes. I found this on amozon, but do a search for strap wrench to see many variations to get ideas for turning the handle.

Master Plumber 321-334 Mini Strap Wrench, Adjusts To 2-Inch Pipe Capacity, Prevents Denting, Scratching / Marring Of Tube Finish https://a.co/d/5ePMlcb

Possible to turn a handle but leave one end flat and copy the piercing of a small strap wrench. Can see this working, but my concerns are strength of the wood and grippy material for the strap. Might work with making a turned handle and modifying a small strap wrench such as Doug Freeman suggests. Turn its handle down into a tang to insert into your turned wooden handle.

you might be able to design something around a Yeti Tarpon. It’s not a kit, but less expensive than a Niles kit and looks like it could use a handle.

Back