• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl blanks in Maui

Short notice (I fly home on Wednesday), but other than finding and harvesting a downed tree, are there any good places to look for bowl blanks on Maui? I found a lumber store up in Wailuku, and may go back though it seems more suited for flatwork.

Thanks,
Don

Last edited:
Too bad you are leaving Wednesday, we are having a club meeting on Saturday. We usually have lots of wood at the raffle. The place in Wailuku only has some pen blanks. I hope you are having a great time here.
Thanks, Emiliano. I’ll have to try and time it better for the next trip. Definitely having a good time here. Not as much snorkeling as we usually do because of Darby, but it’s always good just spending time here with the family.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
90% of visitors that want to buy wood here get sticker shock when they hear the prices. A Koa blank costs more than a finished nice bowl on the mainland. You can stop by and see my wood stash. I'll be in the shop till 6 today. 808-8541028 text me if you want to come.

Thanks again, Emiliano, for letting me interrupt your shop time and “liberate” some wood. I still have the larger pieces waiting for me, but was able to turn a couple of the smaller ones.

The pictures don’t do the wood justice. That koa is some pretty wood. I can’t believe that this little bowl (first 2 pics) has been sitting in your shop for 5 years just waiting to be finish turned.

A4F57CAB-964D-4BBC-903B-E8CFE5F18935.jpeg78588828-1E6B-46C6-8F25-A6360A00DF1F.jpeg135E7D04-58B9-4058-A2AB-BCCBB34CE0D8.jpegA33F07B0-381A-4EA9-9160-B092760008DE.jpeg

Back